What Rockers

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
I am going to go with TFS 170s stock cam and tmoss ported cobra lower for my new combo. I want to run 1.7s with the stock cam. Is this the right part number from trickflow TFS-51400511 to run with these heads TFS-51400002M6 or is there a better set of 1.7s to run?

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo? Or blower? IMO you still would maximize the combo with the proper cam.

doesnt matter either way, boost is boost, and you can tune it to come on where you want it with either system. but i agree with you that a proper cam can maximize any combination. however, it is possible that he doesnt want to maximize the combination, he may just want more power, along with the driveability of the stock cam, and the improved low end torque the high ratio rockers will give him.

Reactions: 1 users
doesnt matter either way, boost is boost, and you can tune it to come on where you want it with either system. but i agree with you that a proper cam can maximize any combination. however, it is possible that he doesnt want to maximize the combination, he may just want more power, along with the driveability of the stock cam, and the improved low end torque the high ratio rockers will give him.
Agree. I've just seen a lot more stock cam-turbo combos more than with blown cars

Thanks for the great discussion guys. I guess sometimes I post an idea without thinking it through. What I want from the car is something that pulls strong from idle to 5800ish. I have 373s so losing a little low end isn't that big of a deal, but I don't want to feel that let down in the mid range that I hate about the stock motor. I just want to be able to win most red light battles without worrying about the soccer moms MDX or X5. Realistically the car probably won't ever see boost but the motor is at the machine shop as we speak so a built top end is happening.

I understand the driveability. Theoretically if you get a cam with more than normal lobe seperation it will idle just as smooth as a stock cam. Unfortunately most cams are installed to maximize performance with very little account for driveability and they are ground for that purpose. So it is unlikely you will find a cam that idles as smooth as stock.

Kurt

gotta ask. why bother to put on a set of nice heads, ported intake and keep the stock cam. You are leaving so much hp on the table. Get a tfs1 cam and a set of 1.6 Crane or Scorpion rockers.

The machine shop said the same thing, so I am gonna go with this said combo (TFS 170s TFS stage 1 and 1.6s) I am going to order from 50resto tonight. Should I be ordering the ones with the upgraded springs?

Yep. hence the letter cam choppy idle sound
The machine shop said the same thing, so I am gonna go with this said combo (TFS 170s TFS stage 1 and 1.6s) I am going to order from 50resto tonight. Should I be ordering the ones with the upgraded springs?

the springs are good for a .550 lift cam and the TFS is only .512 lift with 1.6 RR. You should be fine

Yep. hence the letter cam choppy idle sound

the springs are good for a .550 lift cam and the TFS is only .512 lift with 1.6 RR. You should be fine

Thanks. The only reason I asked is because the TFS top end kit comes with the heads with the better springs and this will be exactly the same setup minus the intake