What should I do next?

MDCobra

Jul 28, 2003
Columbia, MD
Help! I need advice.

I'm selling my investment property and will have some extra money available to do some mods. I'm thinking I'll leave my Cobra alone (in case I have to sell it) and work on the convertible next. See my sig. for my current mods. It has 109K miles on it.

I definately need a new top. Aside from that, I'm debating on the following:

1. New crate motor (DSS or Coast High or Ford Racing) - Not sure if I should go the long block route or short block and add my some new heads, intake, etc. If I go this route, what do you suggest? 306, 331, 347 ...?

2. I could just go the new Intake/Cam/Heads route

3. Add a supercharger to the pretty much stock motor.

4. Do both 2 and 3 but with cheaper parts.

What would you do? I've got about 5-7K to spend.

Thanks!

-Tom

• Sponsors (?)

I agree build a good heafty Stroker that way if you change your mind about the blower then you will have a really nice N/A set up and if you do decide to go w/ the blower then you have the motor that can handel it.

Tom

I can speak about the NA route based upon my experience.

I've done the bolt on thing as the sig shows. I've added a FRPP 65mm tb & Pro-M 80mm maf and the car runs a good bit stronger than before with the stock stuff.

Based upon some of the other AFR/FTI combos I should be at about 300 RWHP.

If your motor is still tight and holding compression you could do the same with various bolt on stuff cause many have done it.

If you want to go the power adder route you may want to freshen up your motor a bit.

Later
Grady

I think I'd go the bolt on route. I couldnt see buying a new engine till you've worn out your perfectly good 5.0. :shrug:

I agree with the others. Go HCI then transfer it over when you actually NEED a new engine. With the money you save by going HCI, put it aside for your motor fund and just keep saving till you need it. You still have a good 5 years or so on your existing engine.

Maybe but if he keeps it in shape like you should it should go for a bit longer. How many people on here have cars with 150,000 + miles with nitrous and superchargers and this and that and have no major problems? I hear of them all the time.

Oh, and besides. That was kinda my point. WHEN it craps out on him, then that would be an excellent time to buy a new short block. But for NOW, his engine DOES run okay and there is plenty of life left in it. Why put early miles on a new motor when this can still be run into the ground? Plus, he'd probably want to buy heads, cam, intake with his new motor....when his current motor dies then hes already got those parts and only really needs the rotating assembly.

I guess I just dont see the point in killing a nice 5.0 that is doing just fine.

jmuva44 said:
WHEN it craps out on him, then that would be an excellent time to buy a new short block. But for NOW, his engine DOES run okay and there is plenty of life left in it.

Personally, I prefer to decide when to swap a motor, not the chunks of steel in the bottom of the pan. Having had motors go away on me, I've learned it's always better to drop in a fresh motor a little prematurely. I'm sure the folks who have had to come home on the back of a wrecker would agree.

However, with only a 110K on the ticker, a HCI combo would probably still give another 30K-40K of troublefree service, depending on usage. If 30K of those miles are 1/4 mi at a time, the life will probably be a bit shorter though, ya know? But then what? The motor is still going to need to be freshened up.

By doing a fresh build now, you get the added power and reliability to go along with a HCI combo. We're talking about a budget of 5K-7K. Estimating 2K for the HCI still leaves 3K-5K for the bottom end. A short block 331 or 347 from DSS is around 2.5K. Hell, the 331/347 long blocks (with your choice of heads) are around 5K. Top it with decent induction for $1000 and you're set.

So now you've got a fresh motor with between 300 - 350 hp (or more depending on setup) and it's within budget. My question, is why NOT do this? Sure, you'll save some money (that you'll eventually spend anyways) BUT you won't have the same power output, and when it comes down to it, isn't this all about higher power output?

I agree with what you are saying. But I would opt to use up my good motor before discarding it for another one. Thats just me. If it blows, it blows. Engines blow. Its the way of the world. Anytime you have a high performance engine, especially if you are gonna push it, you are at a higher risk of engine failure. But by swapping HCI, he will spend no additional costs. Its stuff he'd have to buy anyways. But by keeping his current shortblock, he will eventually have a financial return on holding off on a new engine or bottom end. Plus, I just thinks it would be ashame for another 5.0 to hit the grave early for no reason.

Damn, good advice all around makes this a hard decision. I'm leaning towards either building up a new short block from DSS or Coastal or buying a complete longblock like this one http://www.keithcraft.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=71&cat=
and offsetting the some of the cost by selling the existing motor. I'm not certain when and if I will have another opportunity to sink 5-7k all at once again.

However, if I do go the H/I/C route then I'll put the new items in the Cobra, and take what comes out of there into the vert.