What size compressor best...

• Sponsors (?)

I think you need at least a 30 gallon one.

Honestly, you might want to look at just getting an electric die grinder and a stator (I think that's what they're called) so you can control the speed. I did 95% of my head with an air die grinder but it took forever because I had to keep waiting for the compressor to catch up, although I don't actually know how big the one I was using is. I bought one of those cheap 99 cent (plus $15 shipping :rolleyes: ) electric die grinders off ebay, and I used it to do my intakes and an exhaust manifold, along with finishing up a couple things on the head. The only real drawback with them is that the collet is not actually 1/4" and some of the long burrs and such will wobble at certain speeds, but really overall it's been great for the money.

I have a 50 gal I use for alot of things and with my die grinders ive ported heads with that and so have some of my friends with it. Even have done a few quick spray jobs on some hoods. For compressors bigger is defanatly better. It suck to have to wait for it to build up pressure agian so you can continue your work. Well any ways good luck.

Check the specs on the grinder. Most of these use a lot of air, because they run so many rpms. I have a 5 hp Craftsman, rated at 6 at 90, I think, and my da sander and cutoff wheel will run it down easily. I can take two four lug wheels off with the impact and it has to build up again.

The Makita die grinder I have works great. I do recommend variable speed.

A lot of them RESEMBLE dremels, but all you gotta do is check the collet size. As long as they have a 1/4" collet, they'll do the job.

By the way, if I might recommend it- pick up Standard Abrasive's "head porting kit" (I think that's what it's called, summit has it), the one that's about $42. Comes with all the sanding rolls & mandrels you need, plus some grinding stones and these cool things called "cross buffs" that you can use to polish your chambers or ports. I used the stuff in that kit on my heads and intakes and still have extra (though I ran out of the fine sanding rolls). Pick that up and the only other thing you need are a few carbide bits.