what size fuse 4Taurus fan or no fuse at all?

• Sponsors (?)

It is supposed to have a fusible link, or a "slow blow" fuse near the battery. A regular 25 amp fuse will likley not be enough. That fan may pull 30-40 amps on start-up, then drop off to around 15-25 amps when it gets up to speed. The start-up spike can be as high as 5 times the running amps. Thats why it needs a slow blow fuse. I was running a relay and no fuse because my fuse kept popping. Now I run a DC controller, it has circuitry to cut off the fan in the event of a failure or overheat.

bryanrevans said:
My controller has a 12v relay,Should I do away with the fuse.Is there a chance my fan would burn up?
The fan is still drawing a lot of current regardless of whether or not you use a relay. If you don't install a fuse in series with the fan, you very well could start a fire under your hood.

What sized relay did the fan controller come with? I would imagine it is similar to the fuse rating, which might not last too long. I would want to run a 75 amp relay - you dont want the relay operating at full capacity. And like Jerry wisely mentioned, start up draw can be double operating draw (with other fans; I dont see the efficient 3.8T fan being much different).

Good luck.

Jerry Beach is the one to ask about running on low speed (which he used to do before upgrading to his variable controller). :)

It would be ugly, but if you want to use a higher rated relay (if you are gonna run high speed or low speed draw is too much, etc), i would leave the controller's stock relay and use it as a trigger for the bigger relay. It will be ugly and redundant, but it works. Then use your own wiring to/from the new relay since the wiring with the relay you have is likely only designed for a 30 amp draw (E.g. if your fan drew 50 amps, it should fry the wiring).

I am sure others will have better ideas for you. Good luck.