what size is stock exhaust piping?

91_4ourBanger

Feb 8, 2004
what size is stock exhaust piping on a 91 2.3 stang??? i need to know so i can order my muffler cause the one i have on now has a huge ass hole in it. and dont tell me to get my whole exhaust done cause i dont have that money right now.

• Sponsors (?)

91_4ourBanger said:
im pretty sure its 2 inches too, but i had to double check.

Yup and I probly wouldn't go much bigger on a stock 2.3L. Something like 2 1/4 would probly do good. I replaced my 93' with a whole new 2" exhaust and deleted the pre-cat and felt very little difference except for highway speeds. Now it sound a little ricey with the high flowcat and turbo muffler :bang:

91_4ourBanger said:
i just ordered something with 2 day shipping, it should get here by wed. right? if they send it out today? btw i got flowmaster delta flow 40s and i plan on putting turn downs on it before the rear axle.

:doh: I remember now with the "Y" pipe duels. If noise is what you want then the turn downs shoud do the trick. I'm not sure how much on a 4cl but I know I would rather die than ride in a V8 thats been done this way :crazy:

91_4ourBanger said:
im not looking for loud, just deep with a little rumble.

Those two are usualy the result of more cubic inches and a bigger cam. Try as you may, but it will be difficult to reproduce these types of sounds using a 4cl motor. Atleast not through out your power band that is. They may make a cam that could add a little rumble to your car but I really don't know much on 2.3L cams except the cams we both have are better than the old ones :) The turn downs in my experiance did nothing but make a ton of noise loud enough for cops a 1/4 mile away to know I was comming :(

You don't need turndowns, just stick the muffler in there for now. I don't know about "deep rumble," try "being on the inside of a tin can being struck with a jackhammer." I'm sure you will procrastinate very little before getting the rest of the exhaust back on. :D

That's a shame you stuck with the 2", ALL YOU NEED to upgrade to 2-1/4" is a peice of 2-1/4" pipe and have it welded to the old ball and socket joint. Don't say you don't wanna do any welding because you're gonna have to in order to hang that muffler without using baling wire.

yea, ive decided against the turndowns...everyones talkin **** about my flowmaster.

the guy at tire kingdom said my car is gonna sound like a tractor.
my uncle said its gonna sound worse than a tractor and i should have gotten glasspacks...wtf glass packs suck

91_4ourBanger said:
and i should have gotten glasspacks...wtf glass packs suck

:doh: Man I hate Flowmaster because everyone has them now days. Its like a two for one sell or a Blue Light specail down at K-Mart. But I would rather see you with Flows on than Galss packs. Glass packs are just plan sh@# in my book and will make you sould like crap. Man if you really want a ok sound/look go with the duel Flows with a "Y" pipe and chrome pony tail pipe tipes. Its against my better judgement but I'm sure you will be very happy :nice:

well i got it installed today, at idle is sounds verry nice but at higher rpms it can get loud and echo alot if you are beside a fence or soemthin, but nothing i didnt expect.

the reason my old muffler went to **** was because apparently my car backfired and blew my muffler up.

im just glad the guy installed it. he said it was unlawful for him to work on my car b/c it had to cats or some ****, so he had to charge me 40. but its the only place that would do it.