• 18"

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • 19"

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • 20"

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters
had65want05 said:
It's just a fad, like bell bottom pants, I would think. NASCAR uses 15" and they get around the track at 180+ MPH just fine. The 13 and 14 inch are harder to balance, so those are out. When you get into 15, to 17" there is plenty of rubber on the ground and they are at a good price for tire replacement. Just because soemthing is a fad, does not make it better. Personally, I think the super large ones look hiddeous. Why make your sports car look like an SUV? That said, if it lights your fire, go for it. I have seen some low rider cars with what looks like 12" wheels, or something. If they are happy, that is great. If ya own the car, do your own thing. The next thing ya know, sport car companies will be building SUVs
:rolleyes:
Loren

I agree for the most part. I have 18s (BBS RKs) on my '98 Cobra and I would have gone 17s if the same width and offsets were available. Cheaper tires and less road noise/ride deterioration being my reasoning. My other car ('03 330i) has 17s, and I didn't opt to get the 18s for the same reasons. The '05 Mustang is a different animal in that the overall height of the rolling stock is greater than before. The section height of the sidewall is going to be greater than the same size on the current car, so a larger diameter will be needed to make it look 'correct'. 18s look to be plenty big, with maybe an optional 19 on the Cobra. This is the first car I have seen that looks good with 20s(the concept), and this goes back to the wheel well opening/tire diameter.

• Sponsors (?)

kyle67 said:
I think the v6 eleanor style wheels look the best but too bad theyre 16 inchers.....
I second that. That's the rims that were on the '05 at the Minneapolis auto show. But I agree...they would look much better as an 18", or at least a 17".

What kind of rims did they use on the Mustang in the remake of "Gone In 60 Seconds"? I though those looked really nice.

I hope the '05's have the same bolt pattern as the sn95's, so my 17x11 Troq Thrust II's will fit :D

18" wheels, not because they are a fad, because of performance. You cant compare NASCAR to street cars, they make tires for a particular track/race, and they need sidewall flex for traction, way different at street speeds and for mass manufactured cars. I like the concept wheels. I am not crazy about the 5 star wheels, but I like aftermarket stuff normally anyway. I would like the concept wheels (or looks to be 05 17" wheels) in the 18" size, that would look cool. Or as said before the 05 16" wheels (elanor) in 18" would give them a different/better apperance, but they are made aftermarket.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findWheelDetail.do?step=details&source=vehicle&index=26&productCodeIndex=67278&path=wheel I like the 18X9 Halibrand Cobra III's, especially on a Mineral Grey Stang.

I would want the knock off's like on the V6's though.
findWheelDetail.do

Hi new poster been frequenting thses boards for quite sometime though :nice: Anyways I was just getting some car work done at Sears in my hometown, and they had rims displayed on their walls. The 18"er's they had were 18x8.5. These to me looked HUGE. I just don't know how these will look on a muscle ca, if the 18" rims that will be on the stang will be about the size of the ones i saw tonight?? I think the 15-16 inch rims on the classics look real good imo.

20 inchers

some nice lightweigt 20s like boyds,bons,AR,or dante/ would look nice it would bring it back to the concept look. :nice: just fill in them damn fender wells i wonder what the 20 inch cobra Rs will look like on here?. :flag:

had65want05 said:
It's just a fad, like bell bottom pants, I would think. NASCAR uses 15" and they get around the track at 180+ MPH just fine. The 13 and 14 inch are harder to balance, so those are out. When you get into 15, to 17" there is plenty of rubber on the ground and they are at a good price for tire replacement. Just because soemthing is a fad, does not make it better. Personally, I think the super large ones look hiddeous. Why make your sports car look like an SUV? That said, if it lights your fire, go for it. I have seen some low rider cars with what looks like 12" wheels, or something. If they are happy, that is great. If ya own the car, do your own thing. The next thing ya know, sport car companies will be building SUVs
:rolleyes:
Loren

Cup cars run 15" steel wheels becuase they are regulated that way. They are cheap, strong and everyone runs the same thing so there is no development cost or performance advantage. Champcar and IRL are regulated to 15", F1 is 13 inch.

take a look at any of the cars in any of the classes in the ALMS and they are generally running 18" or 19" wheels. The advantage there is that they can actually fit brakes bigger than 13" diameter and still have enough air flow to keep them cool. The reduced sidewall helps the handling as well.

Given the size of the stock rotors on the new GT(12.4" dia. with twin piston calipers), I'd be surprized if you could fit a 16" wheel and still have clearance.

shatner saves said:
Given the size of the stock rotors on the new GT(12.4" dia. with twin piston calipers), I'd be surprized if you could fit a 16" wheel and still have clearance.

You're probably right. The Tiburon 11" rotors I installed on my Elantra would've just barely fit with 1/16" clearance if I had used my stock 15" wheels. And with the Mustang's brakes, I'm sure the calipers are significantly bigger, so it would be nearly impossible to find a 16" wheel that would fit around those 12.4" rotors & twin-piston calipers.