What Size Steel For Building Boxes For Trailing Arms

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
This is for my 56 f100. I am finishing the front suspension swap from the crown Vic and need to build a bracket for the trailing arms. I went and got some 1/4" steel not thinking much about it. Now that I got it out and looking at it I am thinking this is way too thick for this.

So looking for suggestions on what materials I should use. It will bolted to the inner frame and then bolted to the trailing arm brackets.​

• Sponsors (?)

This is for my 56 f100. I am finishing the front suspension swap from the crown Vic and need to build a bracket for the trailing arms. I went and got some 1/4" steel not thinking much about it. Now that I got it out and looking at it I am thinking this is way too thick for this.

So looking for suggestions on what materials I should use. It will bolted to the inner frame and then bolted to the trailing arm brackets.​

3/16 maybe? I think if I was in this spot, I'd go crawl under my f150 and see what size was used for the leaf spring hangers and get an idea from what size they used for them.. got to be close I'd venture to say.