What size Torque converter

bad68coupe

Jul 18, 2006
Richardson, TX
I have a 68 coupe with a 302, performer RPM intake, 1406 Carb, and a COMP Xtreme Energy Retro-Fit XR264RF-HR Cam, and a C-4 with a shift kit. I am not sure what size torque converter to go with. To be honest I am completely clueless on the topic. Any one want to school me?

• Sponsors (?)

A big part of this choice is how you plan to use this car.
Race only? Street Only?

Torque Convertors usually have a stall rating, but in reality it's just a guess by the manufacturer as to what it'll stall out at. The actuall stall will depend on how much torque your engine puts out at the stall RPM. More torque = more stall.

Usually the manufacturer guesses you have a mid level performance engine.

You also need to think about things like vacum operated accessories. Do you have power brakes?

The higher the stall, the bigger of a tranny fluid cooler you'll need. An aftermarket cooler is a must for street driven cars with a high stall converter.

A big part of this choice is how you plan to use this car.
Race only? Street Only?

Torque Convertors usually have a stall rating, but in reality it's just a guess by the manufacturer as to what it'll stall out at. The actuall stall will depend on how much torque your engine puts out at the stall RPM. More torque = more stall.

Usually the manufacturer guesses you have a mid level performance engine.

You also need to think about things like vacum operated accessories. Do you have power brakes?

The higher the stall, the bigger of a tranny fluid cooler you'll need. An aftermarket cooler is a must for street driven cars with a high stall converter.

It will be a street only car. I do have power brakes, and my tranny fluid cooler is more than up to the task. So how do i estimate where i will be