What Speedo Gear to Use

RdPonyCv

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Illinois
Just recently waiting for a new rear end to come in with 3.73 Gears. I have a 95 V6 Auto and was trying to find out which speedo gear I need to correct the speedometer. I've seen either a 21 or 23 tooth gear. Does anyone know which is for the automatic. I think its 21 but just want a confirmation.

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, you would want the 21 tooth with 3.73 gears.

Additionally, like was mentioned already, you REALLY should go with the 4.10's and the 23 tooth speedo gear. While you are at it, might as well throw in the Posi unit or T-Lok. It will save you money in the end should you ever decide you yearn for both tires to spin. Get the gears, speedo, and T-Lok from GEFRacing, and then order the install kit - 1979-04 Rear End Master Bearing Kit (1979-04 7.5" ) YK-F75 from http://50resto.com/

Here is the part you want:

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=1904&Category_ID=652

I put the 4.10's on my 98 auto and it is nothing short of amazing. The transformation is unreal, and I launch so much faster now. Infact, I can chirp BOTH tires when going into second gear (TransGo shift kit gets some credit here as well)!

A note about the speedo though. With the 23 tooth gear, your speedometer will be off by 5 mph when you are going 65 mph, your speedo will read 60 I think? You will want to take apart your gauge pod, pull the face plate off, and remove the speedo needle and the stop post located under 0 mph. Put the speedo needle back on the post just a bit, enough for it to stick. Get a friend to pace you at 65 - 70 mph, which ever you agree upon, and when he hits that speed, have him hit his flashers or something, then engage your cruise control. It's a good idea to have a passenger along for the ride to watch the road for you while you screw around with putting the needle back on the post at the correct mph. Put the needle on just enough to make it stick, then pull over and put the needle back on securely. Don't press it on while you are still driving around as you can damage the speedo mechanism in the pod.

Your other options are to find one of those roadside "you are going this fast" radar displays, or find a police speedtrap and ask them for some assistance. I did all three over the course of a week or so, just to make sure. :nice:

Again, the 23 tooth gear will get you the closest to the correct speed, not exactly. The 4.10's are the way to go, or else you are just wasting money on 3.73's. Get the T-Lok, trust me! And get that install kit I linked you to, your mechanic will love you for that! Also, pick up some rear end axle seals and have those replaced if you haven't done so already as the mechanic will have to pop the axles out anyway to intall the the stuff.

If you want to save some time and money as well, go pick up three qts. of Mobile synthetic gear oil, and the gear oil friction modifier - only use the Ford stuff!

After 500 miles of driving or so, take the car back and have them inpsect the gears to make sure there is no unusual wear going on, and to replace the synthetic oil and modifier. The rear end should be good for 30k miles after that, then all you do is replace the oil and modifier again at that time.

The only problem with the 23 tooth gear is that your odometer will not be correct. Use math to figure out your real reading based on the 65 mph is really 60 mph (I think - or its the other way around), but remember if you are a stickler for getting oil changed every 5K miles, then use the odometer as your engine is really turning a bit faster to get to the same speed as before, thereby putting in more miles past the actual 5K mile mark. Does that make sense?

Let us know how it goes!

Thank's for the response.

I already bought the 3.73 rear and God I hated the stock 2.73's, the reason why is I do a lot of highway so I didn't want to kill the mileage to much. I did talk to the guys at GEF Racing and that's where I got my wheels from, but they wanted $790.00 for the rear end and I got the same Ford Perfomance 8.8 with T-lok (Part M-4006-B373). from Speed Concepts for $725.00. If you have'nt been to their site you may want to check it out. Really good pricing on quite a few things. I figure the whole rear is shot so while I'm down there I am also adding new upper/lower control arms and bilstein quad shocks.

My car is a 95 Red/White Top Conv. V6 and has about 145k now and not to many mods, mostly add performance when parts go. So far I added a 155lph fuel pump, cdsl brakes with hawk pads, Pro-Mass MAF, 17" silver bullits with 245's and a Bilstein Suspension system. Just put a new top on this year. It runs really well and I'm going for a mileage record. Needed the new rear end because Ford seals it bearings and mine are shot. My Brother has a 95 GT Vert and Ford charged him over $1200 just to replace his bearings. So I figured I'd upgrade mine to an 8.8 with the 373's. Besides my nephew is 15 and wants to buy my car when he gets his license so I don't think it would be a good idea to kill him or have him loose his license at a young age.

Possible replacement vehicle is a 2005 Mustang GT Vert (if they ever come out) and I like them. Told my nephew I wouldn't sell him mine if I couldn't find a good replacement. Not gonna drive a pinto while he's got my mustang. :)

Thanks again.

Definately, I can't wait to see what they do. I'm wasn't to sure about a few things on the concept. Have to see one in person. Wen't to the Chicago auto show but they didn't have the vert concept there. I hope they put the rear taillights from the concept on, I thought that looked much better but I'm sure they'll use the same ones from the 05 production. Power wise it looks like ther'ye taken care of.

I picked up my 95 used and couldn't find any GT vert's that weren't beat to hell or priced way to high. So for now I use my daily driver and upgrade to performance by doing stuff myself for less than Ford charges for replacement of orig. Either I'll end up breaking a mileage record because I've made my 95 almost all new (million mile club to turn over od) or sell it to the nephew and get some major HP.
:flag: