What temperature is considered over heating?

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I know people like an operating temperature between 190-210 degrees. I was wondering what temperature is conisdered over heating? What temperature should you avoid running the motor? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say under 220-230 you should be fine, as long as its not boiling over

Agreed. So long as it's not boiling over, it's not overheating in my book. Engine may be running hotter than what you like, but isn't overheating until there's steam all over the place.

220-230 is when she'll boil over depending on the rad cap and coolant mixture being used.

with a 13lb cap, you wont see the engine boiling until the temp rises to over 240 degrees. i also would tend to limit my temps to 230 max though. one thing, if you are running along with the temp gauge reading real high, right near the top, and the temp needle suddenly drops down to the 1/3 level or so, shut the engine down as you have just about run out of coolant.

I concur on the boiling over. I've run mine hard (70mph, trying to catch a train) with the needle pointing over 3/4 of the way up with no ill effects but a little (ok, a lot of) anxiety on my part.

My personal comfort limit is 220° with no boiling. I start getting nervous when the gage in my '68 approaches 210 because I think the radiator cap is lacking at holding the rated pressure.

Heck, the factory fan switch in my SVO doesn't even come on until 220....well, it would if it worked.

Ford apparently considers 220° to be the overheat point, that's when the distributor vacuum control valve opens to increase idle speed to cool the engine.

dvcv.jpe