What to do: Keep car from gettin stolen.

belt and suspenders

I would suggest a locking "boot" to imobilize one of the wheels, like what they use on parking violators as a first line of defense and a Lo-Jack-type GPS system in the event the former fails.

• Sponsors (?)

J-Scratch said:
What do you do to keep your car from getting stolen?
What devices etc. work best?

p_difesa_full.jpg
:D

Expanding of Zookeeper's post, I heard about a guy who removed the rotor out of his distributor cap at a car show and then proceeded to walk around looking at other cars. When he returned, his car was missing and a guy parked near to him was complaining about his missing rotor!

I agree that if someone wants it bad enough their really is little that you can do, but making it harder for them is a good line of defense as they may move on if it is a general theft and not targeting your particular ride. Lets face it, many of us drive 20 footers in one respect or another, at least as far as those who would be parking their car in a lot in public or not in a garage most of the times, meaning we would fall victim more to the joy rider than the pro. Most joy riders are younger kids and often the ease of hot wiring escapes them. A pro does not want to grab your car from the street really as it's not exactly a beige oldsmobile that will blend into the crowd at the next corner and can be stripped and parts sold to interchange with 90% of their line. They have to get your car off the street pretty darn quick and I think are more likely to target an expensive show car over an average street ride.

That being said, I use 3 deterents on my car. The fisrt being this item:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../storeId-10101/p-5525/c-10101/catalogId-10101
Originally purchased to avoid disconnecting the battery every time I work on the car, and so I do not have to reset the radio stations everytime either. The fuse gives just enough power to operate the top and radio, but will not start with the knob removed.

Number 2: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-162836/mediaCode-ZX/appId-386058
Since I only drive about 1000 mi a year and don't usually leave it anywhere suspect, I did not see a point on spending all that money on a real alarm, (especially with no classic insurance discount for having one) so for $4 a piece, this little flashy LED wired to the fuse box looks just as good on the dash as one connected to a real alarm.

And finally for number 3: I went to their website and borrowed this logo
logo.gif
then in Photoshop I added a "This car protected by" at the top and printed out my own window sticker.

Now, if after all that someone still decides to make off with my car, then it's apprasied and insured for at least 5k more than I have into it so it will be time to cut my losses and upgrade to something better.

No one suggested welding the doors shut and making it a starsky and hutch type of deal!! :) just kidding but seriously, I have 2 kill switches and if you want to take the time (aside from getting it towed) a fuel valve near the seat to cut the fuel off. I had this is my 64 ford PU and it was a good idea IMO. they can start and run that puppy all they want until they run out of gas!!

just a thought since I did not see it listed.

MustangPaul said:
Sky--Maybe if you faked a facial twitch or muttered to yourself when you got out! Still, I haven't met a marine yet who was more than 20 paces from a fire arm at most times in their life!

I have a friend who has a RANGER plate on the front of his truck and no one has ever messed with it.

--P

Well, unfortunately, I'm not yet 21. When I turn 21 in October there will be one of 3 things in my glove compartment whenever I leave the house: a Colt 1911, Glock 21C or a Glock 36. I'm currently leaning towards the 36 for it's small size and large capacity. I otherwise favor the 1911 for its rigidity, fair accuracy and reputation. The only edge (for me) that the 21C has over the 1911 is capacity. All are priced basically the same ($400-$500) so that's a non-issue. The big thing for me is semi-automatic and .45 caliber. Personal safety and security has a name, and that name is point four five. :hail2:

And I don't believe in leaving unloaded weapons lying around.

My only regret is that I can't check my M16A2 out of the armory at the base and use that as my personal weapon! That or one of the Bernoulli shotguns (which are a dream to fire!) The Beretta's they can keep, I despise those things.

LOL, I don't like the Navy Beretta M9s that much either. M16A3s are really nice and smooth though. Personally I'd probably go with a 1911 because its a Colt and I've shot it before.

skywalker said:
there will be one of 3 things in my glove compartment whenever I leave the house: a Colt 1911, Glock 21C or a Glock 36. things.

well this may work if you are car jacked or want to play nice with road rage people, but when your ride is broken into or stolen then it is just another item for them to pawn for $$$

personally I would attach an electric shock device to the steering wheel or something to give them something to think about!!

cardude said:
personally I would attach an electric shock device to the steering wheel or something to give them something to think about!!

I wouldn't suggest it, not only will you possibly end up in jail you will open yourself up to a lawsuit that you will LOSE. Remember that the juducial system in this country protects the criminals.

xj220 said:
LOL, I don't like the Navy Beretta M9s that much either. M16A3s are really nice and smooth though. Personally I'd probably go with a 1911 because its a Colt and I've shot it before.
Agreed on the M9. It is WEAK! When I fire it I feel like I shooting a pellet pistol. What police officers I have spoken to about it say that when given the choice they going with a .40 or .45 Glock for its reliability and stopping power. They've seen guys get shots multiple times from a 9mm and keep coming at them. If you shoot a guy with a .45 and he keeps coming at you, then you're in trouble and better start running, no question about that.

The 1911 is without a doubt the greatest sidearm the Marine Corps has ever employed, but it has a serious lack of capacity, IMO. When you're down to your sidearm, every round counts. I'll end up getting one eventually, but I'm leaning towards the Glock 36 to get started.

I haven't fire the A3 yet (I was issued the old-school, POS flak jacket if that tells you anything about the supply issues in the reserves - by POS, I mean that I might as well not wear the thing.) I love firing the A2 though. It is the first rifle I've fired that was just as accurate at 500 yards as at 36 yards, w/o major sight adjustments. If you treat your M16 right, it'll treat you right and save your life.

cardude said:
well this may work if you are car jacked or want to play nice with road rage people, but when your ride is broken into or stolen then it is just another item for them to pawn for $$$

Personally, I worry more about getting carjacked than having it stolen outright. I'm *rarely* more than 200 yards from my car as any given time, and when I am, it is usually in a parking garage.

I plan to put lo-jack on it and possibly a kill switch, but that's for when I've got it all finished up.

If I lived in so-cal still, then I'd be very scared of it being stolen, but here in the Atlanta suburbs, I am more afraid of being shot at or being carjacked when I go downtown.

On the other hand, when I was in high school, I had a car not nearly as nice, but still one rather sought after by ricers, I once walked out of the mall (seeing a movie) to find some kid sitting on my hatch back. The circumstances that they were, he exchanged a few words with me (trying to intimidate me), so I made sure he knew I didn't like people going near my car (at this time I should say that I believe that violence can solve any problem) and told him to make sure all his buddies knew not to f--- with me. I'm being polite with my telling of that story due to this being a family site, but I think we all get the picture, no? :)

Ronstang said:
I wouldn't suggest it, not only will you possibly end up in jail you will open yourself up to a lawsuit that you will LOSE. Remember that the juducial system in this country protects the criminals.

Depends on where you live. I live in the south. There is a city not far from me where every household is required to own a firearm by law. In another suburb a 70 something year old man blew away his second armed robber with a shotgun (left the perp DRT) and was asked a few minor questions and then hailed as a hero. In California he probably would have been jailed for daring to protect himself.

I've got an alarm, kill switch and a hidden fuel tank selector switch from an '80s Ford van that I plumbed into the fuel line that will give the thief about 2 blocks worth of gas before it sputters out on him. None of this is theft proof, but they either need a stab-n-grab tow truck or alot of time and patience to get away with my junk :jester:

Pakrat said:
And finally for number 3: I went to their website and borrowed this logo
logo.gif
then in Photoshop I added a "This car protected by" at the top and printed out my own window sticker.

Great idea Pakster! I'm "stealing" that idea. :nice:

When I was in college in Norfolk, VA I would take my coil lead with me. Of course I could have fallen victim like 2nd Mustang gave an example of, but fortunately I didn't. A coil lead for a '65 mustang is not something that every would be car thief has. The object is to make it easier to steal the next guys car than yours, so just about any deterrent will slow them down (hopefully so they move on), but if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

skywalker said:
Depends on where you live. I live in the south. There is a city not far from me where every household is required to own a firearm by law. In another suburb a 70 something year old man blew away his second armed robber with a shotgun (left the perp DRT) and was asked a few minor questions and then hailed as a hero. In California he probably would have been jailed for daring to protect himself.

I'm not talking about guns. I live in the South too and we can shoot scumbags trying to steal our possessions without fear of prosecution but "boobytrapping" a vehicle with a shock device is illegal in all 50 states IIRC and will land you in a ton of trouble. Boobytrapping shows forethought of malice and is a big no-no.

jerry S said:
I would suggest a locking "boot" to imobilize one of the wheels.

As someone that lived in NY for a while, these things work the best, They booted me, these things are impossible to get off. If you don't know what they are, they lock onto wheel covering the bolts so you can't remove the tire and they don't allow your tire to roll, and if you do try, you will destroy your fender it you get it to move.

I personally have an alarm, a kill switch under the hood and locking shelby style hood pins. this works for me, but my kill switch is pretty ingenious, it is designed to look like a bolt. turn it one way to disconnect the starter cable...

You could always get really good insurance, leave the keys in the car and disconnect the brake lines, let them steal it, get caught when they crash into something then have insurance pay you back so you can fix it. even that fingernail sized chip in the paint that has been bugging you for a while. Wait, that is fraud, you shouldn't do that...... that would be bad....

Ronstang said:

I have been considering wiring up my steering wheel and wiring the drivers seat and door handles to my car. I am not sure if it is illegal, but if it is, I'd be willing to pay a fine of a couple hundred to catch a car theif. Although I have seen some stupid things happen to victims, I doubt the car owner would get in trouble unless the perp got O.J.'s attorney or Ken Starr. Can you imagine the look on the Perp's face when he stopps twitching and comes to his senses in the back of a police car.... would be funny as all hell to wire up a stun gun to the car, lets all do this.... Teach them a Lesson.

My old car got stolen in december by breaking into my house and stealing the keys... make sure those are safe too.

Ronstang said:
I'm not talking about guns. I live in the South too and we can shoot scumbags trying to steal our possessions without fear of prosecution but "boobytrapping" a vehicle with a shock device is illegal in all 50 states IIRC and will land you in a ton of trouble. Boobytrapping shows forethought of malice and is a big no-no.

I know you weren't talking about a weapons. I was just showing the difference in thought. I seriously doubt anything non-lethal would be illegal here. If it is, I don't forsee anything but a south Atlanta jury convicting me.