What to do what to do...

Stang2003GT

Jul 7, 2003
Ive finally saved up 2000 dollars!!!!!

What can I do to make my car Fast because right now its realy realy slow. My ford gets ZERO respects.

Heres what I cant do:
NO GEARS-> I like to do 60 mph in Second
NO NOS-> I want constant power
NO Slicks-> No streetablity
NO 93 Octain unless needed to prevent detonation (NO Lameass timing mods)

Imagin that this is never going to touch a dragstrip so there has to be street ability.

Ive been seriously losing sleep over this and after 3 years of owership I realy wish I would of got the SRT-4, I could of added 40 hp for a grand easy as pie and would of ran mid to lower 13s.

• Sponsors (?)

hotmustang331 said:
Ok then, $1200 patriot heads and $600 VT stg 2 cams. Do the work youself and get a $140 plenum to boot. :nice:
Get your SCT tuner too and your all set. 290+RWHP I would say....without LTs.

Totally agree but I dont have the tools at all, and im kinda alone on the install.

If only I had help.

How much would ur avg shop charge for a head swap? If I could dress the heads first then all they would need to do is swap heads and time the cams up. My guess would be $1000 dollars!!!!!

Stang2003GT said:
Ive finally saved up 2000 dollars!!!!!

What can I do to make my car Fast because right now its realy realy slow. My ford gets ZERO respects.

Heres what I cant do:
NO GEARS-> I like to do 60 mph in Second
NO NOS-> I want constant power
NO Slicks-> No streetablity
NO 93 Octain unless needed to prevent detonation (NO Lameass timing mods)

Imagin that this is never going to touch a dragstrip so there has to be street ability.

Ive been seriously losing sleep over this and after 3 years of owership I realy wish I would of got the SRT-4, I could of added 40 hp for a grand easy as pie and would of ran mid to lower 13s.
youve got 2k saved up for performance mods to the stang and youre asking for suggestions, but dont want gears, nitrous, a blower or a tune (since you dont want 93 octane). sounds to me like you have one choice to make, build the engine N/A or stay slow-since you dont like any other mods. dont waste your money on 2k worth of bolt-ons. they wouldnt even equal the gain of cams.

only other option is appearance mods :shrug:

u have to make a compromise if u want to go fast. a blower will make u run 93 octane, unless u under tune it and then ur pissing money away when u claim parts are already over priced

suck it up. get gears, headers and/or heads and cams and go have some fun.

I'm not too positive on where 3.73's will put you, but I can do 70 in 2nd, so 3.73's just might meet you still being able to do 60 in 2nd if your that set on still being able to do that.

Truth be told like others have said, you pretty much knocked off some of the best bang for the buck mods for our cars...period. The nitrous can easily add 50 or so hp and you should be way under your $2000 budget. Gears give a nice SOTP feel, and the tuner is a great mod for what it can do, but the power there does infact come from advancing the timing.

If you rule out those, all you have left is the usual bolt ons like underdrive pullies, exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback), TB/Plenum, CAI/drop in filter, heads and cams, all of which easily eat up money fast. Just doing full exhaust and paying for the install is pretty much going to waste your budget with ease.

If I was looking to really add a nice kick in the pants with 2,000 with regard to driveability, I would rethink what you are set against, and go with a dry/wet nitrous set up (wet is more expensive, but you can get a good 50+ out of a dry kit), and get a good midpipe with some weld in mufflers.

dude trust me save up alittle more for a mongoose kit
TRUST ME !!!

if i could do it over i would go mongoose kit then forged motor end of story
once you get blown any other mod you get like tb,plenum,headers will give you almost 2x as much power on a blown car

check it out

plenum+tb ----->450.00
full exuast (lt headers,x-pipe,cat-back)----->1100.00
camms-------->550.00
cai-----------> 200.00
gears-------->150.00
tuner--------->400.00
heads------->1400.00

total ------>4200.00 bucks and thats in parts not installed

avg blower 3700.00 and can be installed with basic tools will give you more hp then most or all these mods combined

Just did some research for the route *I* would go, assuming I wanted good power on a $2,000 budget.

NX wet nitrous kit - Ebay, $505.
NX bottle heater - Ebay, $95
NX TPS switch - Ebay, $20
Any midpipe - $150 approx O/R, $400 catted
Mufflers - $90 approx for pair

For parts with a catted midpipe, you're looking at around $1100. Thats only half your budget with a potential 100 - 150hp. The remaining $900 should easily cover install of the parts and a good tune. You cannot say this would not be a good route to go.

I wish I could save up, but I wont get a chance to work agian for another year due to college. I also dont think the money will remain un touched during college.

I would be realy happy with just a set of VT Stage 1 cams but I cant find anywere to get them install for a reasonalbe price.

Looks like 2 grand is chump change in the mustang world.