What to do what to do...

stangman11

Feb 27, 2006
New Jersey
Just looking for opinions guys. I have only had my current 87 GT for about a year now and it was one of those cars that at the time of purchase seemsed perfect. So far I have had to rebuild the rear, (new axles gears clutches) only a month of having the car. Used trans (third gear shreaded just normal driving). New aluminum drive shaft (old one was contacting exhaust and the yoke was warped) and various other basics brakes, wheel bearings, so on and so forth. Its not terribly rusted but its going to need floors on either side passenger side has a hole in it and it leaks just about everything also as far as im concerned a whole new interior door panels,carpet,headliner and seats.

Heres my question to you all, should I continue with this and give this car rebirth! Or just give up and get myself a cleaner fox. I dont mind doing the work but due to money constraints and a place to work on it this is going to take years to get it where I want it.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont mind doing the work but due to money constraints and a place to work on it this is going to take years to get it where I want it.

I think you answered your own question. If time and money are not a problem, and you have already done a lot of work, then it makes some sense to continue. Interior will cost you around 2K to make right alone, and if you don't have space to work on it you will be farming out the floor repairs, which will be expensive.

In your situation, I would be looking for a cleaner car. The problem you will have is that any Fox is going to need work, so be prepared.

Wha? no way. You can pickup a nice interior out of another cat for 5-600 bux. I got a full set of smoke grey for under that too. Now to but new stuff, yeah maybe but why bother, theres so many of these cars out there that are wreked

He said he wanted

a whole new interior door panels,carpet,headliner and seats.

That's 2 grand. Used is a different animal, and frankly 20 year old used carpet and seats are RARELY in a shape that I would want to buy them for a nice car.

By your description, you should go out and buy a shiney new 2013 with zero miles on it. Don't think for a second, that you're going to walk into Walmart and pick up a Pristine Fox for $99.95. My favorite Fox is 27 years old. :shrug: I'll stop "improving" it when they put me inside of it before burying me.

I had the same delima with my car that I've owned for 11 years. If you feel that way just take your time and like me your situation will change in the future and you'll have a place to work on it and no car that's 20+ years old is perfect.

Any fox is going to need work/upgrades.
One that is in great condition is going to cost significantly more than $3500.

Take care of the serious issues first. Fix the floor asap, because even if you sell it, a buyer that figures out (you really should tell them) that the floor has holes in it, is going to kill you on the price, many will probably just run.

I've had my car for 13 years,I rescued it out of a warehouse,I had to move it like every other day to get it out of my way.

I got sick of moving it and made an offer...the original owners did beat on it they just neglected it.

I got it with the entire history of paperwork and 69,236 mi on the ticker.

I've put 14k on it since....and just this past year started to slowly bring her up to par with little upgrades.

I don't like rust personally. I'd have to see some pics. My car has NO rust and that's why I still have it. I paid $3200 for it about 2 yrs ago and if I had known what it needed when I bought it, I would have spent twice as much on a nicer lower miles car. Now that I have however gotten it as far as it is, I wouldn't part with it. But it has been tough not giving up when I hit a few expensive items.

Normally the work on the car wouldnt bother me but the fact I live in an apartment complex and I no longer work at a shop I have not been able to find a place to work on it. Ill probably keep it for the next year have the summer to enjoy it but start looking for something cleaner. I am aware that all fox's will need work and upgrades but this one is just more than I can do in the parking lot of my apartment.