What to look for when purchasing a used motor

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey guys,
its been awhile since ive been on here. been out of the stang scene ever since my motor blew and it gotten broken into! I called a local, fairly reputable, used auto parts superstore in the area. They have a used 5.0 motor for $450. Didnt really get the specifics but wanted to come to you guys to see if thats a good deal. Its a full long block (heads, cam, intake, oil pump, etc.).

Here are a few questions i have:
Is a motor out of an 89 lincoln the same as out of a 5.0?
is there anything in perticular i should look for when purchasing the motor?
what specific questions should i ask to get more information on it?

any advice is much appreciated and welcome!

Thanks!

Adam:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Look for a used Ford explorer motor. It will be newer, have less miles (maybe) and come with GT-40P head, a gt-40 style cast intake and 65mm TB.

You'll have to use your old engine for misc parts like accessories, oil pan, etc.

To answer your question, an 87+ Mark 7 motor from an LSC is the same as the Mustang 5.0 HO. I beleive 87-88 non LSC Mark 7's got the '86 style 5.0 in it.

$450 is about the high end of what i'd expect to pay for a complete 5.0...but that depends on how many miles are on it and the overall condition of the engine.

what year explorer motor? i didnt know that it came with the throttle body and the heads as well. do those heads flow better? does it have a different cam as well?

will it drop right in with no issues? or do modifications have to be made?

With the explorer motor, you use the longblock and intake, the rest of the parts have to come off your motor.
If the x motor has gt40 iron heads (same as cobra) you won't need headers, if it has p heads you will need a set of FMS p headers to make it work.

The explorer cam sucks for mustang use, not the end of the world though.

Around my way, the word has been out for a long time that mustang guys use the explorer engine, so value is fairly high, probably around $750 here. But if you slap a decent cam in it, while it's out, you will be getting a decent amount more bang for the extra $300.

Make sure you budget for gaskets if you go the explorer route. Also if your WP is old, you'll need a new one.
A motor swap nickel and dimes you to death.

You can use your Mustang cam...or take the time to install an aftermarket cam. If you do however, you might need to upgrade the springs on the heads.

Like said, motor swaps nickel and dime ya sometimes

well i have a ported cobra intake, headers, a 70 mm throttle body and pretty much all that other stuff. so if the cam in the 5.0 block is better, and the only benefit with going witht he explorer motor is for the TB (which i have), the Intake (which i have), and the heads (which i dont) i think i might be better off going with that 302 mustang block isntead and put the extra money im saving towards either heads, a new cam, or injectors which i will need regardless.

i blew my motor running to lean on a blown application with stock injectors.

Just remember, used engines are a crap shoot.
Part of the reason to get an explorer engine rather than a mustang or lincoln engine, is that based on build date, the explorer/mountaineer engine is likely to have less miles.
And considering that the explorer shifts earlier than a mustang, it may have less beatings on it.

I'm not the biggest fan of gt40 p's or irons, so getting the engine for the heads, its not why i'd do it, i'd do it because IMO you are more likely to get an engine that doesn't burn oil if you get one from the suv.

Keep in mind too, since you have an intake, the explorer intake has a decent resale value, making your $750 (guesstimate, there is one on ebay for $695), into a $550 dollar engine.

hmmmm you got a point there. never thought about that.

can i hook up a manual trans to the explorer motor???

i guess im kinda clueles how this works as ive never done it before nor did i know i could use the motor out of an explorer! will it drop in directly with no modifications?

You can hook it up to a manual tranny. Just swap the flex plate for a clutch/flywheel.

You should swap out the Explorer valve springs. They are weak for a motor that will see some revs. Be sure to match the springs to your cam.

You can use the Explorer throttle body. It just needs to be converted over to work on a Mustang. It is not that hard to do.

If you do a search on "Explorer motor" or "GT-40P swap", you will find a ton of info.

I have an Explorer shortblock in my 95, so that I could toss something fresher in, without spending an arm and a leg. Knowing that most SUV's aren't beat to death like a Mustang, I went out in search of a low mileage Explorer engine. I also wanted to pull a running engine, and swap a running one back.

To make it work, you'll need to use your oil pump pickup tube, oil pan, and front cover with the Explorer engine. You'll also need your stock (or aftermarket) balancer and flywheel. The Explorer engines are the same 50oz imbalance, and identical shortblock as the 93-95 Mustangs, complete with hypereutectic pistons.