What to paint the trim with???

MUSTANG J II

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
Belwood Ontario Canada
I used a paint that was supposed to be formulated to paint chrome black. After just a summer of use, the trim paint is wearing/pealing off. I scuffed up the chrome with steel wool and a wire brush, so it would have a good base to stick to. What have you dudes used? What kind of primmer/paint works well? I am looking for a rattle can method, because I would like to do it myself. I want to paint the headlight and taillight bezels side marker light trim and the trim that goes around all the glass.

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing is going to stick to chrome plating, assuming you are talking about real chrome plating and not the plastic stuff like the headlight bezels. Nothing else on the car is chrome, except the marker bezels. The window trim is not chrome. What I suggest you do with the metal parts, is bring them to your local powdercoater and see what he says. You can definitely powdercoat the window trim, we did all of it on my brothers LSC, and they can probably do the chrome stuff as well.

MUSTANG J II said:
I used a paint that was supposed to be formulated to paint chrome black. After just a summer of use, the trim paint is wearing/pealing off. I scuffed up the chrome with steel wool and a wire brush, so it would have a good base to stick to. What have you dudes used? What kind of primmer/paint works well? I am looking for a rattle can method, because I would like to do it myself. I want to paint the headlight and taillight bezels side marker light trim and the trim that goes around all the glass.

I used good old trimclad on my headlight and taillight bezels. Been on there for about 5yrs now with out pealing.

CobraIILover said:
Nothing is going to stick to chrome plating, assuming you are talking about real chrome plating and not the plastic stuff like the headlight bezels. Nothing else on the car is chrome, except the marker bezels. The window trim is not chrome. What I suggest you do with the metal parts, is bring them to your local powdercoater and see what he says. You can definitely powdercoat the window trim, we did all of it on my brothers LSC, and they can probably do the chrome stuff as well.

O.K The taillight bezels are pot metal? Headlight bezels are electroplated plastic? Whats your guess on the trim around the windows aluminum?? :shrug: I was thinking maybe aluminum primer on the trim around the glass?? How much did the powdercoating for the LSC run??