What trans to use with supercharged 331 build

94331mustang

Feb 21, 2011
looking for suggestions on what trans setup to use with my new motor build.. It is a boss block with all dss forged internals trick flow heads etc.. also to top it off throwing the paxton novi 2000 on it .. aeromotive fuel system and spooled rear end with strange axels etc.. last main piece i need is the trans plan on making 800-900 hp with this setup so Im going with an automatic no questionin my mind, but what to use is my question. Wanted to go with pa supercomp c4 or any built c4.. but someone has an AOD for sale locally says it is "built" redline clutches hardened input shafts etc. I donot know alot about the AODs can any one shed some light on them from what a few friends have told me they are heavy and rob alot of power idk just their thoughts but thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I know an AOD can handle that if built properly, but I would be leary of a used one. That much power you might want to consider having one built from the ground up. A C4 would be cheaper if you can tollerate not having overdrive.

Kurt

Ive used Freddie Brown in the past with no issues, the power robbing wasnt much more then a healthy manual set-up, about 20%. It depends who did the work, and what exactly was done to the trans. Is this a street car or race car? Do you want overdrive? Personally at the high HP level a Powerglide is the way to go, just not as fun on the street.

www.fbperformance.com

I don't think he is quite in the power range to take advantage of a glide. You need a lot power and not much weight to take advantage of a glide.

Kurt

I don't think he is quite in the power range to take advantage of a glide. You need a lot power and not much weight to take advantage of a glide.

Kurt

seriously? 900hp isnt enough? the coupe makes a bit more then that on motor and with the tight nitrous convert still runs 9.12@154mph. if he gets the right converter he will be fine

I believe his car will be a little too heavy for a glide. You have to have a good power to weight ratio to make a glide beneficial. I'm not sure exactly what that power to weight ratio has got to be.

Kurt

The Radial guys are in the 3400lb range with a glide, over 1200hp, run 7's. I would think the glide would be ok, with eitehr the 1.78 or the 1.8 first gear...

He could also go with a nice Rossler Turbo 400, depending on budget.

Im against the C4 at that level, they do require fair bit of maintence in the higher power levels.

We use a Rossler behind a NA 360ci combo, 9200rpm, alum shell converter ;)..mid 8 sec car on 275 radials

Bill is my best bud, I assemble his stuff.

That car is actually has a simply combo, makes great power for what it is... He held up pretty good against all those big cube Chevy's and Pontirags

yea larry rhodes use to run that series also, he's running 275 now also.

if bill can gear the living :poo: out of it to run out at the 1/8 and run a 5.0ish he will doing :poo: in the 275 NA world. larrys pretty much the fastest out there NA running 5.20's treeing the :poo: outta people. ol guy can drive still!