What type of gas do you use?

Will3212

May 7, 2011
Regular, plus, or premium. I have a question, I have a bone stock 12' mustang gt stick, people say to just use regular gas but on the Ford site, listed under specs....it says that the mustang gt gets 10 more hp and torque with premium gas is this true? I have no mods, should I use premium gas just to get a little more hp and torque? i have the 3.31 gears

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't expect the owner's manual to recommend premium without a tune, but they do.

"Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of
87 (R+M)/2 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with
an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended."

"spit once in awhile" meaning the car will feel like it wants to shut down? like it would idle at below-average rpm?

Idle is a little rough and will hesitate when I get on it.

The new 5.0 engine does run better with premium. The difference is just a few dollars per fill up. If you can afford a 2012 GT, why cheap out on a few bucks per fill up?

Exactly my thoughts!

I use Sonoco 93 because I'm tuned for it. Dekk70, are you living under a rock? The last two generations of Mustang have been able to adapt to better fuel from the factory and optimize performance. Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you spread BS.

I use Sonoco 93 because I'm tuned for it. Dekk70, are you living under a rock? The last two generations of Mustang have been able to adapt to better fuel from the factory and optimize performance. Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you spread BS.

All I said was MINE dosn't run well on 87. I don't know why and I really don't care. The extra couple bucks per fill doesn't bother me. The OP asked what others ran so I told him and my reasoning for it.

I'd be willing to bet the difference is more than 10hp. The ratings are 402 vs 412, but everyone knows that 412 rating is a bit conservative.

I usually run premium, because in my area, it can be had without ethanol. The fuel mileage boost from pure gas combined with not having it pull timing make it cheaper per mile than regular.

Higher octane fuel, in a motor that can optimize its octane level, will produce more power because higher octane levels reduce early detonation, this in turn allows a motor to pull more timing without early detonation. Computer controlled engines can adjust to octane levels so they can run on low, mid and high octane fuel.The amount of hp is increased with the increased octane levels and decreased with lower octane levels.