What type of oil...?

• Sponsors (?)

oil

You'll get a lot of opinions here. For me, I would get at least 1500-2000 miles before going synthetic. Personally, I believe in synthetics. I use Mobil 1 5W20 and nothing else. Forget additives. "1" has never let me down.

Mobil 1 now comes in 3 flavors, but prior to that, the Mobil 1 can be run for about 9000 miles. The new Mobil 1 has suggested intervals on the outside of the bottle.

FWIW I swapped out the factory fill 5W-20 in our 2003 5.4L 2V V8 within 3 months and kept using Mobil 1 5W-30 or German Castrol 0W-30, never once going back to a 5W-20. It's now out of warranty but it is a very smooth running engine.

Ford specifies 5,000 mile intervals for the synthetic blend 5W-20. Personally, I wouldn't exceed 3000 miles with dino or synthetic blends. However, you can easily do 5,000 - 7,000 miles with the fully synthetic Mobil 1.

I change my M1 5W-30 or GC 0W-30 every 6000 miles.

there was a big amsoil/mobile 1 debate about 1.5-2 years ago. most of the amsoil users are not participating members here anymore, i dont know why :shrug:

From what I have read, Amsoil makes great lube products. However, I do not agree with their marketing strategy nor their pricing strategy and won't be using their products. Many diehard Amsoil users/sellers swear by them and that is fine. But I lost interest in the company when they claim they want small businesses to have a fair shot at selling products so none of their products are to be sold below dealer cost (to prevent a situation like Wal-Mart). I can get M1 at Wal-Mart for less money than buying Amsoil as a dealer.

In addition, Amsoil's "certifications" are a joke. Their European 5W-40 formulation met a non-existent DaimlerChrysler lube spec. Someone just typed in an extra spec. That goes to show how much effort they put into making sure their products actually meet/exceed standardized specifications.

Mobil 1 ATF was reported to work well in 4R70Ws for years before it ever got a Mercon-V certification (according to Ford engineers). It only recently received certification for meeting Mercon-V spec. Amsoil's Universal ATF meets Mercon/Mercon-V and ATF+4, almost two diometrically opposed specifications in terms of friction modifier content. You have Mercon, which isn't highly FM'd, and then you have ATF+4, a highly FM'd ATF.

I have much more faith in Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and engine oils than an Amway-style oil company using shady pyramid schemes, shoddy policies, and non-sensical pricing strategies not to mention obscure product technical certifications.

metroplex said:
From what I have read, Amsoil makes great lube products. However, I do not agree with their marketing strategy nor their pricing strategy and won't be using their products. Many diehard Amsoil users/sellers swear by them and that is fine. But I lost interest in the company when they claim they want small businesses to have a fair shot at selling products so none of their products are to be sold below dealer cost (to prevent a situation like Wal-Mart). I can get M1 at Wal-Mart for less money than buying Amsoil as a dealer.

I have much more faith in Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and engine oils than an Amway-style oil company using shady pyramid schemes, shoddy policies, and non-sensical pricing strategies not to mention obscure product technical certifications.
So basically you're saying that Amsoil is the Amway of lubricants here .... :rlaugh:

[but seriously, I do see your point]

Stick with the factory semi-synthetic 5w-20...my '01 Vette came with Mobil 1
5w-30 and it's fine...nothing special. I still use it because it was the factory fill.
I will tell you that I really used to push my '02 Stang V6 (daily driver) with 5w-20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic and even with 65K miles she ran like a top...never burned oil and when changing at 3K miles the oil always looked new. I don't think you need to put in Mobil 1 or any other full synthetic...the choice is yours and you can save a couple of dollars for every quart. I'm sticking with the Motorcraft 5w-20 semi syn oil in this Stang (I did my first change at 650 miles...and it will be every 3K miles thereafter)...

I thought the the new stangs came from the factory with synthetic???:shrug:
You should be fine to go with synthetic after about 2k.
Although it is more expensive, I use Royal Purple synthetic. I always change the oil around 3500 miles.
RD

I toss all of the free oil change coupons into the trash. I change the engine oil, ATF, gear oil, and coolant myself.

Ford uses and recommends the semi-synthetic 5W-20 engine oil for the S197 Mustang GT (4.6L 3V V8). However, Ford recommends the use of:

5W-30 for the 4.0L V6
5W-50 for the supercharged 5.4L quad-cam V8 in the GT500 (just like the Ford GT)

I plan to take it by tomorrow and give the service manager an earful. I want the fact that the ford service department overfilled the engine documented in my vehicle's service history. Once that is done the only time I plan to take the car back there is for warranty work. I usually do as much of my routine maintenance as possible myself.

marine one, I don't blame you! Give them Holy Heck!

I don't think you would have caused too much of a problem...of course it depends on how many miles you put on her in that week...
It always pays to check the oil level immediately after getting it changed (and allowing some time for it to drain back into the pan)...trust no one when it comes to changing the oil and filter!

Mark25 said:
marine one, I don't blame you! Give them Holy Heck!

I don't think you would have caused too much of a problem...of course it depends on how many miles you put on her in that week...
It always pays to check the oil level immediately after getting it changed (and allowing some time for it to drain back into the pan)...trust no one when it comes to changing the oil and filter!

Yeah, I hear ya. Already spoke to the service mgr, he treated me like I was an idiot, and acted as though I couldn't read a dipstick. I finally just said, "look, it's almost a half-inch above the full line." It got very quiet on the other end of the phone. So much for quality being job one.

I plan to leave work early today and take it by there in about an hour or so. Should be interesting. In over 35 years of working on my own cars I don't think I've ever made this particular dumb ass mistake (and believe me I've made many more than my fair share). The closest thing that I ever did to this was when changing the oil on my 1977 V-6 Capri II and the gasket from the old oil filter stuck to the filter receptacle. When I started up the car (you guessed it) oil all over the concrete driveway of my parent's new house. Took forever to live that one down.

After spending half my career around heavy junk (including a 3-1/2 year stint as the operations officer for a USMC Maintenance Battalion) I know that one of the cardinal rules is that you never EVER overfill anything with oil.

So let's review the bidding: I took the car in for its first oil change with two warranty issues identified. I got a "could not duplicate" on both of the warranty issues and they couldn't even get the oil change right. If this were baseball they would have struck out, because it sure looks like three strikes to me.