• other (specify)

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Just doing a quick poll on what you all have. I just picked some up on Ebay. I desperately want some Holman Moody smallblock covers and intake, but so far I've settled on some Mickey Thompsons and no intake. I'd really like a 3x2 setup, though.

EDIT: If you have other cool appearance(or performance) items that look good or are unique, feel free to mention or post pictures of those too. I'll post up my M/Ts when I get them and after I refinish them in black wrinkle.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not voting because all I've got (on operating motors) are stock GM and Mopar truck covers. However, if NoKitten manages to get on this weekend, he may well give a nod to Edelbrock's cheapie chrome covers. The factory covers on the '73 Cat's 351C were so wrinkled around the gasket lip that I expected to see snapped-off cover bolts in the heads (Idiot P.O.) Since NK was in the "poor college student mode" when he rebuilt the Cleveland, he bought the E-brocks and saved money for better stuff in the motor.

The poll doesn't have a spot for my vote for aluminum FE "Cobra Lemans" covers - which I have buried in my shed. :nice: When we built the 406/short-shaft C6 for my '72 F100; I was out scrounging for a longer (74 and up) "front half-driveshaft" to fit the new tranny, 'cause <74's had the old long-tailshaft slushbox. Found one in a NW Tucson pic 'n' pull; literally tripped over the valve covers on my way back to a path to the office. Guy charged me $25 for the pair; :D spent another $30 on stuff to remove the blue paint :eek: and polish them up.

No, they aren't for sale. They're all I have left of my first (and so far only) backyard 'rod. :(
If the '67 coupe ever moves around-the-block to my house, and it doesn't get an EFI Windsor; it'll get an FE - and I'll get a 2nd job to pay for gas :p

Hmmmmm,..... I could load that truck 'til the wheelwell were sitting on the back tires, and the 406 would still pass everything but a gas station. Whatwould that do in a '67 Stang?
Guees it better be a good paying second job!

StangDreamin' said:
The poll doesn't have a spot for my vote for aluminum FE "Cobra Lemans" covers - which I have buried in my shed. :nice:

If the '67 coupe ever moves around-the-block to my house, and it doesn't get an EFI Windsor; it'll get an FE - and I'll get a 2nd job to pay for gas :p[/SIZE]

I only had 10 options to work with for the poll. What do those Le Mans covers look like?

I wish I had the stuff to put a 390 in my '68. My dad scored a '66 390 GT engine/toploader and its going into his '57 Custom 300......with dual 600s :D. He probably wont do any commuting in it.

Not in an early Mustang.........yet but will be soon, valve covers and all!!!!!

83080970otONnZ_ph.jpg

Tony

65ShelbyClone said:
I only had 10 options to work with for the poll. What do those Le Mans covers look like?
Here ya go:
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?p=1066457#post1066457

I wish I had the stuff to put a 390 in my '68. My dad scored a '66 390 GT engine/toploader and its going into his '57 Custom 300......with dual 600s :D. He probably wont do any commuting in it.
Don't get me wrong, 390's are cool. But they were pretty common in the big cars (LTD's were the "successful insurance salesman's cars" of the late 60's-early 70's), and even showed up in a lot of the pickups. And everybody wants a 428 - And who can blame them?
So I'm thinking the 406 might be a nice difference for a Stang since it would most likely be a restomod anyway. I first came across it as a motor when I was had to rebuild the 360 in my 3rd-owner truck; and wanted to give it some "Oomph" with very limited cash flow. Had to punch out the cylinders (BIG scoring on the walls); so new pistons (flat tops with eyebrows). Crank was pretty rough - blue spots on on the journals. Found a good, used, cast "stroker crank" that turned out to be a 428 stock unit. 360 heads? Uhhh-uh! Found a pair from a 345-horse 390 out of a 68 Thunderbird. Ran out of money, used the original 360 rods (same as a 352). Looked at bore/stroke/head chamber measurements - my mechanic friend figures out we've made a slightly bored 406 :D Gave it an RV cam - it was a truck and the cam was cheap! The T-bird C6 replaced my tranny; so I searched for the longer front half-shaft to go with the shorter tranny.
Found the driveshaft and found the valve covers :nice: They're probably repop's, I can't imagine they're original :rolleyes:

StangDreamin' said:
Here ya go:
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?p=1066457#post1066457

Don't get me wrong, 390's are cool. But they were pretty common in the big cars (LTD's were the "successful insurance salesman's cars" of the late 60's-early 70's), and even showed up in a lot of the pickups. And everybody wants a 428 - And who can blame them?

Nice covers :nice:. The availability of a 390 is whats attractive to me(plus the factory option for a '68 GT). I wouldnt turn down a 4-bolt 406, though(or a 427 :D).

2nd Mustang said:
Plain Jane, chrome tall internal baffled ones from Summit to clear roller rockers. No show, just go.

I'm the same way; the only flash I need is on the win light :D.

gp001: Are those Trick Flows satin or wrinkle black?

65shlbycln said:
Your screen name freaks me out. It looks just like mine...

65ShelbyClone vs. 65shlbycln

I'm probably the reason you couldnt register with the full name :D (if you tried). I think someone else has an s/n similar to ours as well. I had a '65 GT350 notchback clone when I registered in 2000:

65stang1.jpg

Attachments

• 65stang1.jpg
    65stang1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 66
StangDreamin' said:
I'm not voting because all I've got (on operating motors) are stock GM and Mopar truck covers. However, if NoKitten manages to get on this weekend, he may well give a nod to Edelbrock's cheapie chrome covers. The factory covers on the '73 Cat's 351C were so wrinkled around the gasket lip that I expected to see snapped-off cover bolts in the heads (Idiot P.O.) Since NK was in the "poor college student mode" when he rebuilt the Cleveland, he bought the E-brocks and saved money for better stuff in the motor.[/SIZE]
Don't feel bad.....all I've got is the "plain jane" stock valve cover (yup...that's singular folks:lol: ) for my baby.
Tell NK I saw the kitty of his dreams yesterday during our lil' "bomb scare".....resident in the neighborhood has a white '67 Cougar....don't know what was under the hood, but it sounded sweeeeeeet, body is in mint, w/ Magnum 500's on all fours..............:drool:
Too bad the owner was a bit of a tool tho'....came flying up the road at us, then got annoyed because we wouldn't get out of his way so he could pull into his driveway...:nonono:
Seriously, what kind of ___________ would drive a beautiful classic into the neighborhood when ESU is there checking out the house two doors down for explosives?:scratch:

I have some of those Chromed Valve Covers with the Flames engraved on them. But I'm going to be switching to the Polished Aluminum Shelby Valve Covers for the nostiglia look.

I'm running fabricated aluminum covers to clear roller rockers and stud girdle. Nothing too fancy, I did buy stainless bolts and billet breathers to go in them though. I was running open letter cobra covers on my 289, I liked them too.

65ShelbyClone said:
You could have played along :stick:

stang66myway2: You need the other part of the image tag, [/IMG] , for the link to work.

Here we go: View attachment 515931

Are those the pieces you were trying to ID a while ago?

hey there we go lol was wondering how we do that yea them are the ones i was and still am trying to ID if i dont oh well they will still look good on the ol 66 when its done .

65stanger said:
Don't feel bad.....all I've got is the "plain jane" stock valve cover (yup...that's singular folks:lol: ) for my baby.
Hey, there are chromed versions of the "unmarked" I6 covers. Clifford (I think that's where I saw them) even has fancy-schmancy finned cast aluminum ones :nice:

Tell NK I saw the kitty of his dreams yesterday during our lil' "bomb scare".....resident in the neighborhood has a white '67 Cougar....don't know what was under the hood, but it sounded sweeeeeeet, body is in mint, w/ Magnum 500's on all fours..............:drool:
y'know, while I'd love to get my hands on the '67 Pony around the block; I sure wouldn't pass up a Cougar of the same vintage. Especially if it were to appear here before he does in July :D