What vendor for new radiator?

mustangbrad

Aug 16, 2004
I am looking to buy a new 4 core rad for a '69 Mach 428 cj auto no air. who do you suggets buying from. By the way I need it by Christmas, it is a present for my dad.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

go with mustangsplus if you want overpriced pieces. They arent a very well-liked vendor on this board.

SSPPIITT....if you have nothing to contribute, then why post?

As for the radiator....you can go with a griffin, becool, or a universal fit one from Summit or Jegs. its all in how much you want to spend. $200-$1000

allcarfan, lets be nice. The boys in California helped me so much I even stuck their decal on the old girl and won a three hour Enduro race at Sebring.

They did not pay me a single dime to put up the decal.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Henry_s_car_2-285x178.jpg

I bought a 4 row radiator to replace and aging one that came with my car from a local Stang parts store. It leaked on the bottom tank a few months later and they gave me another one which leaked again at the same place. They admitted they were having trouble with the manufacturer of the radiator. I bought a 4 row from Larry's Thunderbird and Mustang which had different outside dimensions, but the same mounting bolt pattern, and it doesn't leak anymore. Looks like the bottom tank needed some support instead of just hanging there where the soldered tubes were taking all the stress. I used some gasket material under the bottom tank to give it support on the rails.

HistoricMustang said:
allcarfan, lets be nice. The boys in California helped me so much I even stuck their decal on the old girl and won a three hour Enduro race at Sebring.

They did not pay me a single dime to put up the decal.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Henry_s_car_2-285x178.jpg

Who cares about you winning a race or putting one of their stickers on your car? They are, indeed, overpriced, customer service is terrible, and they sell things that arent in stock, but only tell you after you have paid. Do some searches on here and you will see how well like mustangs plus are liked on this board. I have done business with them before....i wont do it again.

allcarfan said:
Who cares about you winning a race or putting one of their stickers on your car? They are, indeed, overpriced, customer service is terrible, and they sell things that arent in stock, but only tell you after you have paid. Do some searches on here and you will see how well like mustangs plus are liked on this board. I have done business with them before....i wont do it again.

Now who is being non compassionate? He offered his opinion and you slam him because..............why? F/O

I don't know who they got it from, but when I went to get my old leaky rad fixed, and it was rotten, they had a book and just ordered me one. Check a local rad repair shop.

67GTA-FB429 said:
I bought a Be Cool from Summitt. It was priced right and it fit really well.

As far as M+ goes, I have had zero problems with them. Maybe it is just people who call up with attitudes. :shrug:

One thing is certain, you call up anyone copping an atitude, and you won't get the best service.

mustangbrad said:
I am looking to buy a new 4 core rad for a '69 Mach 428 cj auto no air. who do you suggets buying from. By the way I need it by Christmas, it is a present for my dad.

Thanks in advance.

I just went through a painful search for a rad. The vendors don't know what's in their boxes, where it was built or what kind of warrenty they have & I called all of them! I ended up recoring my original at a local shop and it looks bone stock. You didn't say whether you need it to look original or not, there are great aftermarket ones as mentioned above. Do you have the original? Do you need a high performance aftermarket?

allcarfan said:
Historic and Ozsum....cry me a river.

There are no tears presently. I just would like some clarification. So, how much do you pay SN for you placing adds? What you are trying to do is sell your services on a chat forum. Since the rules forbid this.............. :shrug: There are many guys that have tried to do this very thing and we have handled it appropriately. Do you want to be "handled"? :D

I just went through a painful search for a rad. The vendors don't know what's in their boxes, where it was built or what kind of warrenty they have & I called all of them! I ended up recoring my original at a local shop and it looks bone stock. You didn't say whether you need it to look original or not, there are great aftermarket ones as mentioned above. Do you have the original? Do you need a high performance aftermarket?

I ahve noticed the same thing with vendors. I think my dad does want to retain the stock look, and we do have the original radiator. The 428 is stock except for .060" overbore. This car does not go to the track, or does it hardly ever see "spirited" driving. It has a life of car shows, parades, and an ocassional burn out to impress some kids. Do the aluminum radiators cool better, or they just lighter than the stock units? Has anyone running the aluminum radiators had any durability issues with them? I have heard different things about these things.

Thanks again for all the replies, except for ssppiitt!