What will affect my tune?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Blue91GT, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Blue91GT

Blue91GT New Member

I have a 91 GT and am about to have it dyno tuned and have a custom chip burned. I need to know if disconnecting the battery will affect the tune?!? I got a DUI a while back and have to have an Ignition Interlock device installed on it. To install the device they have to unhook the battery and I am curious if it is even worth having it tuned? UGH!!! :shrug:
  2. vristang

vristang Advanced Member

Disconnecting the battery will reset any learning the ecu has done, but should not have any affect on the tune.

The J3 chip can be pulled from the ecu, left without power, and the tune should not be affected.
  3. Blue91GT

Blue91GT New Member

SWEET! Thats what i needed to know!
  4. Black1987Stang

Black1987Stang Active Member

Since we have simple electronics in our cars unlike newer OBD2 cars and such how do they hook up one of those breathalyzers in a car like ours, just tap into the ignition circuit? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for some of us to get around it. *Not saying I would (plus i dont drink and drive) or anybody should and since you could get in big trouble for tampering with it but just curious*
  5. Blue91GT

Blue91GT New Member

Honestly, I don't know?:shrug: I haven't been able to find much as to the specs on the devices themselves, nor can I find how they hook it up. But i would definitely like to know, not so much for bypassing it, just to know what I'm dealing with as far as how it is hooked to my car! I hate to let some guy install something on my Fox when I don't know what he's messing with...what if he screws something up...I bet there's no warranty fdor the install.
    :nonono: