What would cause this?

frcefedlx

Dec 6, 2004
I have a plug wire dilemma and am confused, I purchased a set of Ford Racing wires and have had them a total of maybe two months. Anyway they don't exactly burn but have developed a blister on the plug side that you can push your finger through and its really mushy. this is on every boot. I am going to buy some sleeves however this almost sounds like it may be starting on the inside working out. I would suspect the spark energy is exiting here and going somewhere else not the plug. Any similar experiences ?

• Sponsors (?)

It's because the wires are "leaking." If you hold a test light up near the plug at night, you'll see the spark jump from inside of the boot to the test light. It makes sense if you have ever assembled ignition wires yourself. The core of the wire is folded over the insulation at the end, and then crimped under the metal connector. If the core end is too long, it will come too close to the end of the boot, and leak out the side. The heat from the misfiring is causing the boot to blister. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you pull that boot back a little, you'll find the core of the wire folded right under where that blister is. Basically it comes down to this. Motorsport wires are cheap crap, and always have been. They use inferior boot ends, and poor assembly, and just about every set I have ever installed for a customer had the same problem. Moroso and MSD wires have the same problem. If you can afford to buy another set of quality wires, that will save you a lot of hassle in the future. If you can't afford a set of wires, you can make do by buying a better quality boot for the wire. Slide the boot ends off the wire, clip the core with a pair of dykes right down to the end of the connector so that no extra is hanging out. Reassemble the wires with the new boots using dielectic grease as a lubricant. The boots that connect to the distributer generally have the same problem. Might as well go and change them out too.

Kurt

Motorsport wires are cheap crap, and always have been. They use inferior boot ends, and poor assembly, and just about every set I have ever installed for a customer had the same problem. Moroso and MSD wires have the same problem. If you can afford to buy another set of quality wires, that will save you a lot of hassle in the future.

You don't specify what brand you would recommend? If not Motorsport, Moroso, or MSD, who makes "quality wires"?

Not intended to sound like a smart@$$, even though it probably does. Just wanting to know what brands you recommend?

Accel and Taylor are both really good. I switched to Accels a long time ago. That's pretty much the only wire I use. Accel and Taylor make their own wires. Motorsport and Moroso wires are bought from some company north of Lakeland FL. I don't know where the MSDs are made, but probably not by MSD.

Kurt

Livewires are great, but expensive for some...why I had Taylor's on mine :)

I've had the Ford Racing wires too and wasn't a big fan of them. The biggest problem I had was they are for 302/351 so they are a little too long for my tastes. They also got dirty way too easily. I bought some Taylor's and never looked back.

I use Taylor spiro pro wires. They're pricey but well worth the money in my opinion. 350ohms/foot is almost the best you can find w/o having to go to 80+$ for a set of better wires.

I tried Taylor wires once. Two of them kept falling off the plugs, so I never used them again. I know lots of people who have had great luck with them, so I wouldn't say they were bad wires. I think I just got a bad set. I have been using Accel 300+ for about 10 years now, and have always had good luck with them.

Kurt