What would make my fan not run?

My fan seems like it has its own mind. Sometimes it runs when its supposed to sometimes it doesn't. I replaced the fan motor already. So I know thats not the problem. I replaced the plug on the fan because it was broke still didn't help. I leave it warm up and it never kicks on, If I shut the car off for a split second it will work then.

Do you think its my ignition switch? Or maybe a relay in the fan control module? I don't think its the main computer because I have a tweecer and it works fine when I change the fan settings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated because I keep getting :owned: by a electric fan. thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Both of my suggestions have already been given. I have had to replace my ECT sensor (the one that goes into the hard coolant line on the pass side near the T-stat housing) twice already for the just the reasona you described. The CCRM is also a strong possibility, but since it is intermittent I'd guess the sensor is failing before I'd suspect the CCRM.

pin 14 should show 12 volts when low speed comes on (~208*, right).

a manual low speed switch might be a good idea.

BTW, im jealous of you guys who can changed the fan settings - must be nice! :)

I got it fixed I think. It was the CCRM or whatever its called. Now I have another question.

I was comparing factory fan settings with what mine are. What is the factory thermostat temp? The factory settings are on at 208 off at 204 highspeed on at 224 off an 200.
What should mine be with a 185 thermostat?

bayellowstang said:
I got it fixed I think. It was the CCRM or whatever its called. Now I have another question.

I was comparing factory fan settings with what mine are. What is the factory thermostat temp? The factory settings are on at 208 off at 204 highspeed on at 224 off an 200.
What should mine be with a 185 thermostat?
factory stat rating is 195, IIRC. i dont think it gets fully open for a little bit later though. where did you get a 185 t-stat? i cant think of who makes a 185 for us, though i could be very wrong. 160, 170, 180, 192, 195/7 are the common ones i can think of. :shrug:

HISSIN50 said:
factory stat rating is 195, IIRC. i dont think it gets fully open for a little bit later though. where did you get a 185 t-stat? i cant think of who makes a 185 for us, though i could be very wrong. 160, 170, 180, 192, 195/7 are the common ones i can think of. :shrug:

I got the stat at autozone.

Did anyone ever put a temp sensor in the back of there manifold? I have one there and the factory one at its normal position. They read different temps all the time. The back is always hotter. Should it be like that?

yep, the back does not get the coolant flow that the front does. so the back will be slower to read hot and slower to reflect cooler temps up front. i dont even have a rear port - you are lucky.

if you want accuracy, use the front (OEM) port for the best guage, etc that you have. on my 88, i use the aftermarket sender in the stock location and the stock gauge reads from the driver side rear.

good luck.