What would you do? (Long read: cooling)

BigmacK192

Apr 8, 2009
Chicago.
The cooling system in my '89 is tired. Very tired. Original radiator, electric fan (that just failed, causing the radiator to bubble over), old hoses, etc. I flushed the system and changed the coolant twice this past summer and it was still coming out brownish. Had the upper intake off and cleaned all the gunk I found inside the cooling ports in the heads. There was a lot of crap in there. So much so that I'm surprised I had much flow at all. I cleaned it out, flushed it, and kept trying fixes but I still had problems. And when it bubbled over (once in traffic), she was at 230* F, the heat swelled the hoses and they burst. (I was freaked out. I have aluminum AFR 165's on the car.)

So I'm thinking it's time to put some money into reliable cooling.

A friend of mine who has an '88 GT (for show/parade duty, minor track time) has an aluminum radiator (2 core I believe) and a Flex-a-lite fan just bolted to his water pump, no clutch. Gives him cheap and reliable cooling (the motor isn't too hi-po, just a built 302) and he loves it. Since my electric fan quit, rather than doing another electric, I'm considering this. What's involved? Anybody running a set up like that? Any downsides besides the added rotating weight on the front of the engine?

Also, I know that a copper radiator performs better than an aluminum alternative, but my budget is limited. The car is just a summer daily driver that gets roughly 3,000 miles a year. What I want is a system I can rely on to keep things cool. I'm done with all these headaches of wondering whether or not I can actually make it where I'm going without the threat of overheating. Trying to get it to last longer in this form before she get's transformed into a race car (once I get out of school).

So if you had ~ $500 to spend (I already have a new set of Motorcraft radiator hoses), what radiator/fan set up would you go with?

Just spitballin' here, the car's stored until March.

• Sponsors (?)

I would definitely NOT go with a fixed metal-blade fan. I wouldn't even go back to a factory clutch fan. Do another electric. They aren't that expensive, and if you already have stuff in place for one, there isn't any sense in downgrading.

For the radiator, FRPP offers an aluminum unit for $250. That's definitely in your price range and will cool much better than the factory one. You can also talk to someone at a radiator shop, a lot of times they offer stock replacement "heavy duty" increased-capacity units for relatively cheap. That's what I have in my car, and I'm definitely happy with it.

Fans, are only needed for cooling at idle really. With my car, I drive around all day and as long as domt stop and am not at wot, the fan rarely comes on.

Unfortunately autozone or pep boys no longer sell the kick ass cheap 3-core copper radiator fpr $150 that they used to. This is what I run.

Cheap parts store 3-core copper
Parts store bosch water pump
180* stat
50/50 mix
Sn95 e-fan w temp controlled fan control
Autometer mech temp gauge.

Run consistently at 188* and as long as I am moving, fan is not needed usually.

No need to get big and fancy....the key is the radiator. Invest wisely here.

I have a charcoal canister that shows what a flex a lite fan does when the rivets give. if you not going to go back e-fan then use the clutch fan that is stock on the car.

i have an frpp rad, junkyard taurus fan, and the cheapo parts store fan controller with an 80amp relay, it works pretty well, temps dont go above 200, and stayed in the 185-190 range unless i abuseed the snot out of it (180 t-stat). whole setup cost me around $350.