What would you do?

BrianV

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
McChord AFB, WA
Ok so last Wed. I was driving my car to Pacific Raceways for test n tune, when I drove straight into a 3-4" lip in the road where they were paving (they so kindly labeled it "bump"). I was going at the speed limit which was either 50-60, but I had a car in front of me and wasn't doing excessive speeding. Anyway I've filed a claim against WA DOT so we'll see what happens there.

So how would you fix it? Replace the whole pan or you think it can be patched? I was thinking if anything I could get a piece of sheetmetal welded on the bottom for re-inforcement so it doesnt happen again.. Oh this is a 7qt road race pan btw, not a stocker. If I cant patch it up I'll probably go back to stock and gain back that 2" of ground clearance that I'm losing now. Any suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• oilpanbroke.jpg
    oilpanbroke.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 78
  • Sponsors (?)

fi the bottom isn't caved in it should be an easy enough fix, it'll take more time to clean than it will to weld up. If it's caved in you'll have to straighten it out so that the pickup to pan clearance is correct but I'm sure you allready knew that.

I wouldn't bother with trying to reinforce it, i'd just drive a bit more carefully ;)

I'm sure WADOT won't do anything for you since it was marked. You didn't say what the speed limit was, but I know since my car is lowered and has less clearance that when I see a big ass orange sign that says "bump" I say F the people behind me and slow WAY down.

I know those "bump" signs should actually say "CURB!!" but they don't so we just have to assume that's what they actually mean.

Anyway, as for your pan, I agree with WP, if it's just holes, fix it, if it's way F'ed up, replace it. But just do it knowing is most likely going to come out of your pocket, not the states.