What would you do?

1QWK96GT

Nov 28, 2004
Hello right now I have the stock t-45 in my car and 2nd gear will not go in with out grinding. I have tried sychromesh and that helped a little but it still grinds most of the time. Is it worth it to rebuid this t-45? I have a buddy who works at a car dealership and this 02 GT came in with a transmission problem, it will not go into 2nd, the transmission only has 40k on it. So the owner got a new transmission and the dealership is going to throw away the 3650 and my buddy is getting it. He said he would sell it to me for $200, sound like a good deal? How much would it cost to fix 2nd gear in a 3650? What would it take to make this 3650 work in my 96 GT? I suppose I will need a mid 01-04 driveshaft, but what else? Who has done this swap? How hard was it? Was it worth it? Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

How much would it cost to replace the synchros on your t-45?

I have a 3650 and it grinds abit going into 2nd and 3rd. I only have 27k on the car. I know there is a thread about how crappy the 3650 is somewhere in this forum. Check it out.

Your probably better keeping what you got

Pennywise2 said:
If that is the case I would just buy a brand new T-45 transmission
and have it installed.

I agree, thats probaly your best bet. Warrenty's are nice...

But, if that doesnt work, start calling some junkyards and see if they have any T-45's laying around, could probaly find one for a decent price.

Other than the 2nd gear synchro's the 3650 is a stronger trans than the t-45. $200 sounds ok but I's get it rebuilt with one of the aftermarket kits that have the better syncro's. You can even get a full upgrade that gives you the stronger gearset from the TKO500/600 (I know it will never be as strong cause the 500/600's use a different case to control gear spread)