What would you do?

whitesqual

Sep 3, 2008
Coeur D'alene, ID
So I have a friend that is selling a 393 stroker kit that he obtained from a friend that got in over his head. My friend is just looking to get what he has into it out of it. The kit comes with an eagle cast crank, forged I beam cap screw rods, speed pro high compression pistons, bearings and rings, a 71 block with all machine work done, an uncut 70 block missing the main caps, and a set of early heads that have had some work done to them (not sure what kind of work tho), and a set of stock truck rods. He is asking 950 for all of this. He also has a set of used probe h beam forged rods stock length for another 150.

So, my dilemma is, I have been wanting to build a big inch windsor for quite some time. I want to build it strong enough to handle as much as 600 rwhp in case I ever want to push it that far with boost. So, should I buy the stroker kit and put it together with the high comp pistons, I beam rods, 71 block and sell it, and keep the 70 block and h beam rods, buy a forged crank and pistons and build that for myself? or just pass on the whole deal? I really have no use for the heads either, maybe Ill try to sell those too, or just throw them off a bridge. I also have a uncut 74 block on the shelf i could use instead of the 70 block. Or use the main caps from my 74 block on the 70 block.

Well, let me know what you think....

• Sponsors (?)

I decided to pass on it. The only parts I would have been able to use are the h beam rods and the block. And I already have a block. I don't feel like messing with building and selling a short block right now. oh well.

Good call on the pass. Your buddies got a block full of budget parts. It sounds like a pointless stroker. If you're going to run Speed pro pistons and a cast crank, you might as well just run a stock bottom end. It will handle about the same power.

The guy from Ford strokers was chiming on corral the other day. He said that if you are building new, go with a 408, it's the best bang for the buck.

Kurt

Good move on passing on this. Better off buying exactly what you want instead of dealing with someone's project mess. Like kurt said the parts dont sound all that good anyway, its a cheap stroker build.

stick with the lower compression pistons. it will let you run boost later if you want, and allow you to use lower octane gas too. that is the one thing i regret about my build

Yes, thats also part of the plan!

Good move on passing on this. Better off buying exactly what you want instead of dealing with someone's project mess. Like kurt said the parts dont sound all that good anyway, its a cheap stroker build.

Definitely not what I want to build. At first it sounded like a good deal, the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a good deal for someone else!

That's not a good deal. All of those parts new add up to the asking price. You're getting the machine work included, that's it. Machine work you're probably going to do over anyway.

Kurt