What's a decent quote for a clutch job?

tm4mcgrath1

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
South Jersey
My Mustang is wounded with a partially broken T-5, noisy throwout bearing, and I figure while I'm at it it should get a new clutch thrown in. Now I normally do all the work myself on my cars, but the weather absolutely sucks in NJ right now and I don't think it is going to get warm or stop snowing anytime in the next few months. I don't have a garage and I'm also really busy with school, what all with the semester ending and finals. I still need to buy a T-5 ($300-400) and a new king cobra clutch runs about $170-200. Right there I could spend up to $600. So what do most places charge to install this stuff? I figure with a lift and air I could probably do it all in about 3 or 4 hours but this is just a guess, as I have never acutally replaced a clutch. Does anyone have any reccomendations for shops in or around the South Jersey area? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Go there and have them change teh clutch/TO bearing and thats all u should have to pay for....This is off my bill....for installing a customer supplied clutch- 240. resurfacing teh flywheel was 40 (get this done or ur clutch wont last)..either way they have to drop the tranny and replace it..so if the new t5 is ready to be popped in, dont let them charge u anything for it. so your looking at 280...with this weather now, its well worth it.

*also another point of advice...yeah, if u get the clutch yourself u will spend Less money. but FInd out how much your shop wants for the clutch setup..if its not much more then what u can get it for, BUY THRU THEM..b/c most shops dont have warranties on customer supplied parts.....i had my clutch done that i bought and the new TO bearing its rattling like hell...drives me nuts...i tried adjusting everything..i think the actual clutch itself needs adjustment (what most peple told me) so im screwed cause i supplied the part. :notnice: good luck