Whats a good fuel pump?

I am currently running a Holley mecanical pump, the 110 gph version i think, and having some psi issues. I have a typical holley regulator (chrome) with the dual outlets. At startup, i have 6.5 psi, but after it heats up it drops to 4.5-5 psi. As I blip the throttle, watching the gauge on my log fuel rail, it definitly drops to like 3.5-4 psi. The issue is that I have a nitrous system with fuel psi saftey cutoff, and the only bottle i have ran through it has been a very surging feeling. I always assumed the bottle was filled wrong, but now with my new gauge, I believe that the saftey was turning on/off repeatedly, and that was my surging feeling.
So, my question is what fuel pump/regulator should i run. I tried adjusting the regulator, but the most i could get was 5ish when hot. I have the stock 5/16" pickup, 3/8" hardline, and 6an line from the regulator to the carb. I had an electric pump before, but it was kinda loud and pulsated annoyingly, so I would like to stay mechanical. Could the 170 gph holley pump be sufficient? I know i should have an aux. fuel pump for the nitrous, but its a 100 shot, and my stock pickup kinda limits a 2 pump system. I find it odd the current pump cant supply its rated psi (6.5-8) even at idle. Thanks for the advice.
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same fuel pump without a regulator because it was supposed to be calibrated to work with a carb and not need a regulator. The reality was, PSI was around 11 PSI continuous and reulted in me posting this thread:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=705147

I solved my problem this weekend by plumbing in the Holley 12-803 regulator. Guage now reads right at 6 PSI like it should. I haven't checked it after warming up to full temp, but I will. So my experience is you need to run a regulator with the Holley 110 GPH mechanical pump.

If it was vapor lock, how did you correct the problem? I just cant believe that the pressure drops to 3ish when i goose it with my hand. I have had an edelbrock pump fail on me already, and i am starting to think that most aftermarket pumps are a gimmick, and they are all pos.``