What's a good street gripping tire?

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
I have expensive all-season radials on my car since I previously lived in NY. Now in Florida, will never see snow/ice. I will have to drive in the rain though.

My current tires spin and squeel at the slightest touch of the gas down here. Want more gripping. 245/45/17.

Nitto 555 seem like the tires are very short.

Any recommendations & links appreciated.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to sunny Florida.
I like my BFG KDW T/A's but there are other good options like goodyear F1's. I'm no tire expert but those were my top choices and I went BFG and like them. SOme good info and customer reviews of tires 1010tires.com/tires.asp
Good luck and have fun with the lovebugs. If you don't know yet, you will.

If your going to buy tires its worth buying wider rear wheels too. They cost a lot less than the tires. Goodyear GS-D3s and BFG KDW2 are very popular. Both can handle the rain.

i had bfg gforce sports in a 275/40 17 rear on stock wheels and was pulling 1.9 60's with them, they are a good bit cheaper than the KDWS or the f1's and would probably last a bit longer without sacrificing much traction. they are also just fine in the rain...

Nitto 555R's are about the best thing for driving in the rain if you want a drag radial... im using Sumitomo HTZ-R's in 315/35R17 right now and ive read that people feel safer with the nitto DR over the Sumi's

I have 315/35/17 Sumitumo's out back also and they are fine in the rain but when its dry and the foot hits the floor they dont grip much, even for their size. They dont grip much more than my old 245's did.

They do seem to corner ok though, but id buy them again for the price.

LOL. If you mean Florida's state bird, the Palmetto, I've already had 2 in my apartment. Live right on the water. You can make a small meal from one.
Lovebugs are not the same as palmettos. The are small fly like bugs that pair up by the ass and swarm directly infront of every car on the road. During mating season, the front of your car will be covered with the remains of these things splattering as you drive through them. The bad thing is that the remains are acidic and can ruin the paint, and are difficult to get off. I grew up in North West FL, and on trick we used to do was to spray some pam cooking spray on the front of the car so they wouldn't stick as bad, and would spray off easily.
lovebugs-2.jpg

Attachments

• lovebugs-2.jpg
    lovebugs-2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 56
If you want a good, low cost, high performance tire, check out the Fuzion ZRi's. I bought a set for my car thinking they'd be so so since they were so cheap, but they're really a nice tire.....and half the cost of the other high end tires and they're rated just as highly!!!

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Fuzion&tiremodel=ZRi

I HATE the ZRi's. A friend and I both have them on our stangs and you can kiss any sort of traction goodbye if you encounter any cool temps/ice/snow. ZRi's are the reason I had to buy a winter car because my car was stuck in the driveway after I got the new rims and tires installed. If you don't experience overly cool temperatures they're fine but otherwise I hate them. Gear do you drive on them in the winter?

Gear do you drive on them in the winter?
No, I don't drive the car in the winter at all.....and you're right...they suck ass in the during the winter months in the snow and on cold pavement.....but since he now lives in Florida, I don't imagine that kind of thing would be an issue for him. :D

I still thing they're a great summer and wet pavement tire though.