What's a safe boost level for a 1987 turbo coupe?

I have a new remanufactured 1987 t-bird 2.3T with the IHI turbo in a old 4 cyl mustang lx body. I'm new with messing with turbo's. I bought a gillis boost valve and it's set at 12 psi. What is the max boost i can run safely without engine problems? Does the timing have to change like on my 95 supercharged cobra? I just don't want to blow a gasket or detonate. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

JosephB said:
Cool. I'll keep it at about 16 just for longer engine life. I want to put a dynomax muffler on it and dump the exhaust. Any Idea how much hp that should give me on stock engine with 16 psi.

Probably 210-220. Dynomax is a good choice. Go with a full 3" exhaust system and that'll really wake it up. FMIC would help with power and detenation prevention. You'll need at least a 190 lph fuel pump if you're gonna make any semi-serious mods, 255 lph if they're serious mods. Then there's headwork, gearing, bigger turbo, etc. It all depends on your budget.

I read somewhere that 9 psi is stock. that's where it was with the stock bcs. I have 3.73 rear because that is what the rear tag says plus it was auto trans converted to 5-speed. It has a K&N filter in the stock air filter housing but I drilled three 5/8 inch holes in it so when i drive, cooler air can get in there. It's ghetto but i'm sure it helps. Since the metal filter housing and intercooler is black and metal it absorbs a lot of heat, I put heat reflective tape aroud them. I noticed that it doesn't get near as hot as it used to. I really don't like the way the intercooler sits right above the turbo. i might put heat wrap on the E6 manifold.

The way it was with the stock system, the boost controller limited the car to 10 psi in First gear, but it had 15 in all other gears.

Anyway...honestly, you might look into putting a cone filter on your VAM, the stock air box setup sucks ass. Also don't bother wrapping the exhaust manifold...I've heard it just leads to cracking because it holds in so much heat.

Best bet for the intercooler is to go front mount.