Whats a scattershield?

• Sponsors (?)

Its a bellhousing that is extremely thick, heavy, and strong. Here's a picture of mine

99303.jpg

Its built tuff so if your flywheel or clutch scatter while spinning at six thousand RPMs, the pieces will remain inside of the bellhousing, and not fly in all directions including the dirvers legs. :eek:

Where can I buy a scattershield? How much do they cost? Never knew that a flywheel or clutch can go through the driverside floor and cause injury...Has this happened before in this forum?

Where can I buy a scattershield? How much do they cost? Never knew that a flywheel or clutch can go through the driverside floor and cause injury...Has this happened before in this forum?

Yes its happened before, but many years ago. I believe the story went like...The flywheel let go at a very high rpm during a street race and somehow managed to send half of itself through the dashboard of the car, the other half dug itself into the highway. The driver was not hurt, however the flywheel ripped the entire wiring harness behind the dash clean in half, as well as penetrating the windsheild.

It's a pretty serious possibility but i've never seen it happen. Usually because 1) if you've got a car that'll spin the RPMs high enough to blow a flywheel apart, then you probably invested in a good flywheel anyways, and 2) i could be wrong but i believe at a certain speed in the 1/4 you have to have a steel bell housing and scatter shield in order to pass inspection.