What's better 17" or 18" for 99-04 mustangs?

What's the best size rims for 99-04 mustangs?

• 17"

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • 18"

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • 19"

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • 20"

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
When it comes down to it, people just have different opinions of what looks good, and what they want to pay. At first I felt that the 17's were too small, and wanted 18's...but really wanted the wider then 10" in the back, so I decided to go with 17's with the 10.5 rears insted and save some cash and weight with them as well. I'm pleased that I went with that size, but everyone has there own taste. I like more of the muscle car look, some people like more bling/exotic.

Also, you don't need wheels to fill out the gaps, just make sure you have the right suspension and ride height.

• Sponsors (?)

15" wheels will clear 13" front brakes with a 3/8" spacer.

18" wheels do not get rid of the fender gap if you get a smaller profile (like you're supposed to), when compared to 17" wheels; You keep the same overall height.

They each serve their own purpose, just like gears.
Btw borla > * :nice:

No not really because I don't have the $ and I'm not tryin to switch tires more than twice a year for raining season.

I use to switch my tires and exhaust on my illegal integra everytime I went to the drag strip and it got old quick:nono:

honestly tho, if you're "building a drag car" you don't need 18's. So the question of whether it looks better or not is negated by utility

don't think he understands

:nonono:

well there is clearly some not understanding going on here, but it's on my part...

simple put, one wheel and tire combo won't "fill up the wheel well" any better than another if they have the same overall height, regardless of whether that height is achieved with a tall wheel and a short sidewall or visa-versa..

so unless one puts on a taller tire on the 18" wheel (slowing the speedo and losing some gear ratio) an 18" wheel and tire combo doesn't "fill up the wheel well" any better

if you like 18" more power to you, but what I want to know is why people say they fill up the wheel wells better? are you using tall tires? is it just an optical illusion and make you feel like there is less gap? what??? It's a simple question... :bang:

:nonono:

well there is clearly some not understanding going on here, but it's on my part...

simple put, one wheel and tire combo won't "fill up the wheel well" any better than another if they have the same overall height, regardless of whether that height is achieved with a tall wheel and a short sidewall or visa-versa..

so unless one puts on a taller tire on the 18" wheel (slowing the speedo and losing some gear ratio) an 18" wheel and tire combo doesn't "fill up the wheel well" any better

if you like 18" more power to you, but what I want to know is why people say they fill up the wheel wells better? are you using tall tires? is it just an optical illusion and make you feel like there is less gap? what??? It's a simple question... :bang:
and a simple answer, you buy 18's cuz you like the look of a bigger wheel to fill up the "wheel well" (notice most don't call it a tire well). If you assume when people talk about filling up the wheel well they mean with anything, then you must assume they'd enjoy off road tires since the take up a lot of room.
One drops their car when concerned w/ their 4x4 look to lessen the gap between the fender and the WHEEL - otherwise if people wanted the "filled wheel well" look they wouldn't need to drop their car they'd just buy 55 profile tires. Actually there was a thread a few months ago in talk where a guy had 50 series (i think) tires on his rims on an unlowered stang and he got flamed for the whole page (wouldn't included me). Yet i still assume you take the position that we drop our rides (concerning aesthetics) to in effect make our tires fill the wheel well better.

Well.....I have 275/40/17's up front and 315/35/17's out back. Now....if I remember right pretty much all 18's use a 35 series tire. Maybe they do but, I don't think just because I have 40 series tires on the fronts, 35's are going to be night a day with the handling. Handling is really from the quality of tire, suspension set up, and the driver. Believe me my handling and traction was dramatically improve when I swapped the 245/45/17's for my setup now, and can't wait until I get my suspension done.

Well.....I have 275/40/17's up front and 315/35/17's out back. Now....if I remember right pretty much all 18's use a 35 series tire. Maybe they do but, I don't think just because I have 40 series tires on the fronts, 35's are going to be night a day with the handling. Handling is really from the quality of tire, suspension set up, and the driver. Believe me my handling and traction was dramatically improve when I swapped the 245/45/17's for my setup now, and can't wait until I get my suspension done.

Your one of the few making sense on my post thanks.:flag:

+1:nice:

Your one of the few making sense on my post thanks.:flag:

+1:nice:

Thanks, I try to be as helpful as I can to this community no matter what vehicle or model. A post like this you will get some debate, it's just normal...but I don't down play someone elses view, I just give my honest opinion overall. Not everyone has an unlimited budget, not everyone likes a certain look, and not everyone looks for performance. However, I just like to get the most for my money and to me 17's were the right choice overall, but may not be to the next person. I've just stated why I felt that was the best for me.