whats better t3 or ihi

• Sponsors (?)

This is just what I have gleaned from reading stuff on here, someone with more expertise may give you more info, try reading the tech articles on here, they help a lot.

The IHI is smaller and will spool up faster, but cannot produce as much boost and the air will become superheated at around 18psi. I guess they begin to spool up at around 2500rpms.

The T3 is larger and will take more time to spool up (begins at around 3000rpms). It will be good to produce up to about 24psi. Much more potential for power here.

these figures should be assuming with a stock setup. In stock form, the figure I have seen around here is 1psi=6hp(I dont know about torque). Looking above at the figures here, you can see a 36 hp difference between the two turbocharger. Headers, porting(either the head or manifold, or both) can increase power and reduce spooling time. Intercooling is highly recommended for these.

I have seen where people run 18psi boost with a T3 unintercooled. I dont know if they have any problems with detonation though.

Now it is time for someone more knowledgable than me to step in.

Well my t3 is boosting a full 15 psi at 3100 rpm.

They both suck though. Get a Holset.

It depends on what you want. Short autoX tracks then go with the ihi.
Everything else the t3 or bigger.

It really dependens on what your doing with the car I believe. If your into open road racing a IHI is better. Now for drag racing a T-3 is better since you can get more power out of it.

As for they both sux. I also think it dependens on what your doing. I think you can get up to 300hp on a stock trim T-3 with a well built motor which is more than I need :)

I think the IHI is a good little turbo. Try it first.
For squirting through traffic you can't beat the quik spooling

I had mine spooled up by 1800 rpm and pulling hard like a supercharger

My .63 T3 I get going around 2500 with the help of a header and exhaust.
A little more delay but a lot more air!
Flow is as important as psi sometimes.

I'm still using the IHI on mine running about 17PSI. I like it, spools right around 2500 as stated above. I have no mods other than a K&N and an adjustable boost controller valve as I put everything in in stock form as it was in the 88 TC I got it from. No porting was done. I will soon be pulling it all back out to rebuild the motor, port the manifolds, install my FMI and ADj. regulator. My lead foot, the 17PSI and 100,+ miles on the motor have taken there toll as I am blowing oil out every orface on it. Mine is stricly a commuter car so I will be staying with the quick spooling IHI after the rebuild.

-another vote for an IHI. You should at least try it for a while, then stick a T3 on there and use the one that matches your style the best. A buddy of mine sticks an IHI on his SVO when we autox and he get's ton's of low end grunt and no lag coming out of corners. It's really impressive to watch. He's got a T3/T4 hybrid on the car right now and you gotta wait on it a bit.

If it was me and I was swaping in a 2.3T I would use what ever the donor car came with for the time being :) Either turbo will work great for starting out and until you decide for your self if you need more power etc :)

kiddiccarus said:
Slugstang do you have any maping of the way you installed the 89 Dash and interior and do you have Pictures?

I started to do a write up on it but havn't completed it. I am getting ready to pull the dash again this weekend to change it from grey to red. What pictures do you need? I will most likely finish my write up as well on the conversion. My first attempt to mount the dash was a failure, I did not cut enough of the tabs out near the windshield, so that made it sit out an inch. I can't get the speaker grills on the dash to snap in because they hit the pillar trim. I will be getting pictures on the tabs to show how much needs to be cut off to make it sit right.

Basically the tabs are the hardest part. Everything else was a breeze. All the holes and so forth are there already.

I need Grey........I am taking a 93 dash out and want to put in a 94 + dash interior and console so I am at stock right now and need it all lol so whatever your write up is can I have a copy. can I e-mail you about it?

I have had a thread on here about 2 months ago that was all about the Dash, console and interios swap where many members were interested in the upgrade on the interior look. So when you get the complete version of your write up done let us all know and Pictures of the different steps and the harder points will be most helpful.
I am looking right now for a two tone Black/Grey Interior for mine. My stock is that combo and the paint is blue so I can not do Red. Thanks

kiddiccarus said:
I have had a thread on here about 2 months ago that was all about the Dash, console and interios swap where many members were interested in the upgrade on the interior look. So when you get the complete version of your write up done let us all know and Pictures of the different steps and the harder points will be most helpful.
I am looking right now for a two tone Black/Grey Interior for mine. My stock is that combo and the paint is blue so I can not do Red. Thanks

Sorry, I thought you needed pictures of an pre86 to post87 dash swap.... I had just posted those SN95 dash pictures in a Fox body in that post for every one to see what it looked like. That wasn't my car. I got them off the web after doing a search. I have not switched to the SN95 style yet. I will however be doing a 94+ dash swap sometime in May or June or possibly before if I can find a sutible dash to put in. That's been my main problem finding a good red dash to put in. I will do a write up and I will definitly post the write up when complete.

I already looked at re-locating the door handle so the dash does not cover it. That's going to be pretty easy we just have to move it back a few inches and cut/rebend the rod. The door panel from the 94+ will not work on our doors so we will have to re-cover our door panels to hide the old hole from the door handle.

I emailed the guy a few times and from what info I got from him is that it's realtivly simple to do and all that is required is cutting the defroster vent portion out. He never got anything else hooked up he just mounted the dash. I don't know yet if it can be mounted with the defrost section still intact but that is going to be my goal. I don't want to loose that option.