Whats gears should I go with ?

• Sponsors (?)

I would run a 3.90s or 4.10 gear in all N/a 302s if given an option. If it was a serious H/C 302 that spun to 6500. I would have 4.30s

I had 3.73s in mine and it always needed 4.10s, whether it had stock heads or the gt40p setup, it would have been faster.

Its laughable that anyone would say that 1st and 2nd are useless or that it is not necessary.

BlackVert: 4.10s are not too steep "especially for a 5 speed" In fact, I would say that 4.10s are pretty steep for an AOD because they have a nigher numerical OD than the T5. I would NOT do 4.10s in an AOD that was daily driven, I would do a 3.73s and a 2500

... Its laughable that anyone would say that 1st and 2nd are useless or that it is not necessary.

BlackVert: 4.10s are not too steep "especially for a 5 speed" In fact, I would say that 4.10s are pretty steep for an AOD because they have a nigher numerical OD than the T5. I would NOT do 4.10s in an AOD that was daily driven, I would do a 3.73s and a 2500
Given that gear choice is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE thing, I find it offensive that anyone would say that someone else's opinion is laughable. I actually have had both 3.73 and 4.10 gears in my car over the years (have you?), so my statements come from MY OWN personal experience, and I have reasons for my statements.

When I had 4.10s, it was when my car had a T5 and I drove it all the time. It was MY OPINION that first gear was essentially useless, because the amount of time it took to get to 2700 rpm (my PERSONAL PREFERENCE for shifting from 1st to 2nd) was IN MY OPINION very short, and it felt TO ME that the car was still just barely moving. Over time, the FACT is that I found I did not like driving the car as much, specifically because of the gears. I actually tried starting in 2nd a few times, and found that I could without a problem, but I was worried that it might not be good for the clutch, so I didn't do it much. I also found that, with MY PERSONAL driving habits, when I was going through a neighborhood, the speed was such that the RPM in 2nd gear was a little higher THAN I LIKE IT, and a little lower in 3rd THAN I LIKE IT.

Then I had 3.73s, also while the car had a T5. It was MY OPINION that with 3.73 gears, 1st gear was not "essentially useless". And the FACT is that I found I liked driving the car more with the 3.73s.

Now I have an AOD and 3.27 gears. I think I would prefer 3.73s with this setup as well, because of MY OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCES.

Is that less laughable, Mr. Snoozer?

One of my first mods was the 3.73's.
Looking back I wished I had gone with 4.10's. Even with some highway drive time.
Gears is definately worth doing early on in the modding process as it allows your engine to move the mass of the car with less effort.
I actually saw an increase in milage when I forced myself to not floor the gas at every streetlight!

The motor on my car is stock but i would like to do gears but i dont know what to go with are 4.10s to low for daily driving

For a stock motor car the 4.10s are definitely too steep. I'd only use them if the engine has the ability to pull strongly beyond 6000rpm. Otherwise 3.73s are a good, all round choice.

You can see how big of a debate this is. I think the 4.10s will make the car perform better, but they are a little annoying on the street. 3.73s seem to be the gear of choice. I don't like anything higher than 3.55s myself.

Kurt

I have 4.10s in my 03. My 95 is getting 373s. I'm only going with 373s in the 95 because I don't want 2 cars with 4.10s. Plus the 95 has a high stall speed torque converter and it's extremely loud as it is. I see nothing wrong with the gear swap as a first mod if you're planning other mods in the future...however, if you have a manual trans then I'd say go with 373. If it's auto then go with 4.10s. In the end it's all about preference. Side note, make sure the speedo is corrected for the gears...

All depends on the setup. Stock up to a mild hci and my vote is 4.10s if you have drag radials. My buddy used to have a gt40p, tf intake and stage 1 cam setup and with drag radials 4.10s set it off perfect. Beyond that however, and 3.73s have my vote.

But don't kid yourself you will probably change gears more then once if you stay in the game long enough.

Given that gear choice is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE thing, I find it offensive that anyone would say that someone else's opinion is laughable. I actually have had both 3.73 and 4.10 gears in my car over the years (have you?), so my statements come from MY OWN personal experience, and I have reasons for my statements.

When I had 4.10s, it was when my car had a T5 and I drove it all the time. It was MY OPINION that first gear was essentially useless, because the amount of time it took to get to 2700 rpm (my PERSONAL PREFERENCE for shifting from 1st to 2nd) was IN MY OPINION very short, and it felt TO ME that the car was still just barely moving. Over time, the FACT is that I found I did not like driving the car as much, specifically because of the gears. I actually tried starting in 2nd a few times, and found that I could without a problem, but I was worried that it might not be good for the clutch, so I didn't do it much. I also found that, with MY PERSONAL driving habits, when I was going through a neighborhood, the speed was such that the RPM in 2nd gear was a little higher THAN I LIKE IT, and a little lower in 3rd THAN I LIKE IT.

Then I had 3.73s, also while the car had a T5. It was MY OPINION that with 3.73 gears, 1st gear was not "essentially useless". And the FACT is that I found I liked driving the car more with the 3.73s.

Now I have an AOD and 3.27 gears. I think I would prefer 3.73s with this setup as well, because of MY OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCES.

Is that less laughable, Mr. Snoozer?

Blackvert is right... I have 4.10's in my cobra.. I shift into second at 15 mph.. If I don't come to a complete stop, I just start out in second..

If you do alot of stop and go driving, they are extremely annoying.. I would run 3.73's for a gear you know will be good all around, or 3.90's if you want a little more low end oomph..

With 4.10's, I'm at 3000 RPM at 80 on the highway, which is much higher than I would want if my car were more than just a toy.

Best advice, find someone who has 3.73's or 4.10's and go for a ride.. its the only way you'll truly be able to know what you want, otherwise its a gamble

I would take into consideration what your first gear trans ratio is and your overdrive ratio....then look at your driving habits. I have a z-spec t5 with 3.73 gears. Zspecs have a 2.95 first gear (versus 3.35 1st gear in other t5's), which takes alot of the bite out of my 3.73s, I also have a .63 overdrive (versus .68 in some t5's).

Given my setup, I will be replacing with 4.10's in order to get a little more pull in first gear. The .63 overdrive gear will help out with highway rpm's.

Try this calculator and see what rpm's you might be at a given speed. In my opinion, rear gears are a great first mod, right after cai and exhaust. Just remember, a more aggresive cam may require lower gears, so you will be ready when that time comes.

Wallace Racing - Calculate Speed for given RPM, Rear Gear Ratio and Trans Gear Ratio

My .02...
If you don't drive interstate highway on a regular basis, 4.10s are the way to go with an AOD.
(I have no experience with 4.10s behind a T5)

I put a set in my son's car (headers, OR-X, GT40 intake, AOD) and he GAINED MPG around town over 2.73s. The car doesn't work as hard in traffic and stop and go, so it gains. He doesn't drive interstate, so even though it would be a slight loss in mileage there, it's not an issue.

As long as you have that OD gear, you'll still go 140 at redline. Do you need to go faster?
Yeah, they'll be even better with heads and cam too.

My .02, worth what you paid. I might also be a bit bias if you judge by my screen name.
(and I run 4.11s old school... no OD!)