What's Happening With My Stereo?

DRFT_STNG

Jun 14, 2004
ok guys and girls.. its been a while for me.. but you've all helped me in the past so i hope your helpful this round.. i'm having trouble with my sterio.. i have the stock mach 460 tape/am/fm in my car.. usually oin the morning here its been around 20 degrees... it wouldnt come on untill the car and all that god a little warmer.. the other day i walk out to my beloved car and start her up.. let her warm up.. press the poxer button and all it does is say BAD on the screen... i left it for a few days and nothing changed.. so i put it an tape/am/fm/cdplayer in it and still nothing.. so i know it cant be teh actual head unit part.. even the back light works when you turn on the lights at night.. does anyone know whats goin on??

• Sponsors (?)

are all the wires running the harnesses behind the head unit still hooked up(none cut, split, bad, unattatched)? make sure that all the electrical looks to be in working, this has caused me many problems in the past.

so it reads BAD where it would say CD/AM/FM etc? Must be some sort of error code id call ford and ask.

Personally I would get a aftermarket head unit, it will sound much cleaner and it will be much nicer.

TO the fact that it would work sometimes and sometimes not I bet it was a ground issue, or a issue with a caught/frayed wire.

We were going to put a new head unit in our 94 Cobra, but the Mach 460 is a complicated animal, and it appeared to us that the only way it can be done is to change everything...speakers and all. Our car is so loud anyway that I never listen to the radio much, anyway, LOL.

I don't know if the amps may be affecting your system, but I do know that they are bad to screw up, so maybe look into that.

nc_stang_girl said:
We were going to put a new head unit in our 94 Cobra, but the Mach 460 is a complicated animal, and it appeared to us that the only way it can be done is to change everything...speakers and all. Our car is so loud anyway that I never listen to the radio much, anyway, LOL.

I don't know if the amps may be affecting your system, but I do know that they are bad to screw up, so maybe look into that.

It's not complicated at all - I have a Mach 460 and swapping the head unit was really easy. You just need the right adapter.

There's an adaptor kit you can buy at most any car stereo store, though they may have to order it. It's made by Metra, model number 70-5514, and it's only $15-$25. Make sure you get the 94-98 Ford Premium sound system kit (same for Premium Sound and Mach 460). The Mach 460 kit available (70-5519) is only for 2000-2004 Mustangs - don't get it.

The problem with aftermarket decks is with the adaptor used. Basically, the head unit must make use of the Mach 460 amps, and NOT its internal amp. You have to wire up the pre-outs into the Mach 460 amp for it to work correctly. The generic wiring adaptors don't do this properly, and you end up over-amplifying the music. I've used the 70-5514 Metra kit above in two different Mach 460 systems, and I've had great success with it. No audio problems at all.

Instructions are vauge with the kit, but each wire is marked on the wire what it's for. Just splice all the available wires together between the Metra harness and the one that came with your head unit. If you end up with a few from the aftermaket harness that don't match up, that's OK. The important ones are all there.

The problem is not your head unit, it's the CD Player. When the head unit is trying to interface with the player it's not getting what it needs back which is causing the error code. This is exactly what happened to mine. Just to verify, try operating the radio without the radio without the CD player connected.

I had a problem with my CD player when I bought my car (used). Although my issue was different from yours, this might help you too. My problem was that my CD player went bad. It could never properly load a CD. Then it got stuck in some kind of loop, constantly trying to load a CD that wasn't even there. (BTW, it seems that the CD unit on our cars with a 460 system are notorious for going bad).

Anyway, what I did was to disconnect the CD unit. If you pull it out you will see 2 different wire looms connecting into the back of the CD (maybe it was 3 :shrug: ). Disconnect one. Then try powering up the car and audio system again. In my case, I can use the radio without CD once I found the right wire to disconnect. That is, if I disconnected one of the wires, the radio would not even turn on. If I disconnected the other, I could use the radio without the CD. And if I disconnected both wires, again nothing would work.

Try this first, because this may be your cheapest fix. All you need is the tool to pull the CD unit (try your dealer or Crutchfield.com). If that doesn't work, then you may need to start saving for a new head unit. The only caution there is, if the problem is in your amplifiers, then a new head unit won't do you any good (until you rewire the whole system).

And don't swet the loss of your CD player. Just get an iPod or MP3 player and FM modulator - you'll never look back.

Good luck.

Chythar said:
It's not complicated at all - I have a Mach 460 and swapping the head unit was really easy. You just need the right adapter.

There's an adaptor kit you can buy at most any car stereo store, though they may have to order it. It's made by Metra, model number 70-5514, and it's only $15-$25. Make sure you get the 94-98 Ford Premium sound system kit (same for Premium Sound and Mach 460). The Mach 460 kit available (70-5519) is only for 2000-2004 Mustangs - don't get it.

The problem with aftermarket decks is with the adaptor used. Basically, the head unit must make use of the Mach 460 amps, and NOT its internal amp. You have to wire up the pre-outs into the Mach 460 amp for it to work correctly. The generic wiring adaptors don't do this properly, and you end up over-amplifying the music. I've used the 70-5514 Metra kit above in two different Mach 460 systems, and I've had great success with it. No audio problems at all.

Instructions are vauge with the kit, but each wire is marked on the wire what it's for. Just splice all the available wires together between the Metra harness and the one that came with your head unit. If you end up with a few from the aftermaket harness that don't match up, that's OK. The important ones are all there.

The head unit part isn't really that bad, I agree there. Our buddy did that when he had his old Cobra. But we were wanting to change out our whole system, LOL. Then decided that since the car's so damn loud anyway, it would be a waste of time. I like to listen to the engine in it anyways...:D