Whats in my rear end

• Sponsors (?)

Almost all 60 model mustangs came with 8" rear ends, especially V8 cars, which were all five lug cars. Some of the Shelby's and possibly Mach I's had some 9"'s. Just by glancing both 8" and 9" rear ends look similar, they both load from the front. Obviously 9" are bigger. Unless the car looks modified on the back end it's probably got an 8". I have a 66 and I have been told by some really smart Ford guys that unless I find a 9" out of a mustang then I will have to have one shortened. Hope this helps.

If it is the original 67 rear the only way it will have a 9" is if it has an S code 390 engine.

soonerfever, if you get a 9" rear out of a 57 thru 59 Ford it will work. You won't have to shorten it because it is already the right width and the springs will match up perfectly.

danny clemens said:
If it is the original 67 rear the only way it will have a 9" is if it has an S code 390 engine.

soonerfever, if you get a 9" rear out of a 57 thru 59 Ford it will work. You won't have to shorten it because it is already the right width and the springs will match up perfectly.

I believe a K code 289 would have the 9" also. At least they did in 65/66.

dennis112 said:
I believe a K code 289 would have the 9" also. At least they did in 65/66.

You're right. I just wasn't thinking.

I must have been typing the 57 thru 59 info while krash kendall was posting. Oh well, the story of my life. A day late and a dollar short.:D

I've got a Ford 9" from a 1967 Mustang or Cougar on fleaBay right now. Also got 24 people watching it :D If you have someone in the States that can pick it up in Gainesville, FL then feel free to jump in on the auction.

BTW, you can tell if you have a 1967 or later Ford 9" rear by the hump on the center section cover. See second photo.

HERE

I've got a Ford 9" for a 1967 Mustang on fleaBay right now. Also got 24 people watching it :D If you have someone in the States that can pick it up in Gainesville, FL then feel free to jump in on the auction.

BTW, you can tell if you have a 1967 or later Ford 9" rear by the hump on the center section cover. See second photo.

HERE

92 LX Stroker,
I was going to respond to the part about you being in Iraq but forgot to. I'm assuming that you are in the military so I want to say thank you and all of the other soldiers over there with you. You are appreciated by a lot of people. I'm sure you're looking forward to the day you can come home and look at your Mustang. Hope it's soon. If you post where your Mustang is at maybe somebody here would be close enough to go check it out and send you pictures.