What's needed for 85GT to 93GT front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't live on the opposite coast as me, I'd really think about it, 79-86 mustangs are bad ass, I think the 85-86 looks better than the 87-93, If i had to choose, I'd get an '86. It's not everyday you see one, esp one in good condition, please don't do the swap....please!

• Sponsors (?)

evlgt85 said:
Way to ruin a car! Nothing like making it look less unique to really stand out from the rest of the crowd!

Sigh.

Guess what? The car is not ruined, and if it were my car, i'd take offence to your comment - so shove it! It has a few different pieces of plastic on it, big whoop. Different than before, yes, ruined? HELL NO!

Hey i dont mean to offend anyone if i did, i'm just a firm believer that some things, like this, should be left alone, but of course it's not my car so this is just an opinion. Would you (or anyone) put a Saleen kit on a '93 SVT Cobra? In a perfect world people would be able to just buy the car they want and be done with it, but i understand that when you've got a car that isnt the look you want, you'll do whatever you can to make it what you want, like swapping the nose. If that's your thing, more power to ya, i wouldnt let anyone get in your way. All i'm saying is, these 4 lights are getting pretty scarce, and i personally would rather sell my car or trade it to someone who wanted a 4 light, than to swap it out.

That's a Capri light assymbly. It looks great but i think he should have used a Capri front valance instead of the GT. I had planned on doing a Capri nose swap onto my Coupe when i first got it, but the more i read about how rare Capris are getting and now how scarce SSPs are getting, i dont want to alter either. This just means i have to buy a Capri now, which isnt a bad thing..lol

You might be able to get away with using your old inner bumper but the newer noses stick out farther and there will be an inch or so between the bumper cover and the bumper that will need some support.The old bumpers are heavy steel units while the newer ones are fibreglass so if you change bumpers you will be shedding some pounds as well.

Ok, I understand that the good 4 eyed look was only available for 2 years, 85-86, but they are a dime-a-dozen. I like how my car looks, but its looking a little too 80's. I want a sleak road race car. I'd prefer to get a 93 notch but they are still pricey and hard to find. I was actually just playing with the idea of the change,but maybe I will now just to piss off all you 4-eyed freaks. You guys talk about the car like its a 55 chevy. The friggin car is only 19 years old, and has every mod known to man, and I ripped out the entire interior except the dash and door panels. So where is the originality now? Would you like to know that I actaully threw the old interior away in the garbage even though it was totally clean? If your curious as to the mods and what it looks like now, check out my cardomain link.

SmockDoiley said:
Ok, I understand that the good 4 eyed look was only available for 2 years, 85-86, but they are a dime-a-dozen. I like how my car looks, but its looking a little too 80's. I want a sleak road race car. I'd prefer to get a 93 notch but they are still pricey and hard to find. I was actually just playing with the idea of the change,but maybe I will now just to piss off all you 4-eyed freaks. You guys talk about the car like its a 55 chevy. The friggin car is only 19 years old, and has every mod known to man, and I ripped out the entire interior except the dash and door panels. So where is the originality now? Would you like to know that I actaully threw the old interior away in the garbage even though it was totally clean? If your curious as to the mods and what it looks like now, check out my cardomain link.

Hey jerky, if you dont like the answers, stop asking for opinions. :shrug: Do you really want people to tell you what you want to hear?

Hey loser. I didnt ask for anyones opinion. I asked for information on how to do ithe swap. But then I get these "diehard" 4-eyed fans who get all bent out of shape about this when it isnt there car. There are alot less 93 Cobras' and Cobra R's(only 107) on the road then there are 85-86 Mustangs. So I'm really not making my car even more common. And if you ask me, putting a 4 inch cowl on your car is going to look pretty stupid. Yeah, a cowl hood, thats original. I don't think any Mustang owner can say anything about originality or rareness since we are all driving the most produced car in the last 40 years. It would be impossible to find someone who doesnt either own, has owned, or knows someone who owns a mustang.
The point is if someone comes on here needing technical help with their car, don't come on here and clog up the posts with "what you should do", or "I dont think you should do that because I do like that". I dont care that you own an 85 Mustang or if you think they are special. This is my car and I've been through more crap with this thing than I have with my marriage. So the car will never leave me and it will always be changing. Someday, 30 years from now, Ill probably fully restore it when I become a boring old man. Until that day, Ill make this thing look like a Ferrari if I want.

SmockDoiley said:
Hey loser. I didnt ask for anyones opinion. I asked for information on how to do ithe swap. But then I get these "diehard" 4-eyed fans who get all bent out of shape about this when it isnt there car. There are alot less 93 Cobras' and Cobra R's(only 107) on the road then there are 85-86 Mustangs. So I'm really not making my car even more common. And if you ask me, putting a 4 inch cowl on your car is going to look pretty stupid. Yeah, a cowl hood, thats original. I don't think any Mustang owner can say anything about originality or rareness since we are all driving the most produced car in the last 40 years. It would be impossible to find someone who doesnt either own, has owned, or knows someone who owns a mustang.
The point is if someone comes on here needing technical help with their car, don't come on here and clog up the posts with "what you should do", or "I dont think you should do that because I do like that". I dont care that you own an 85 Mustang or if you think they are special. This is my car and I've been through more crap with this thing than I have with my marriage. So the car will never leave me and it will always be changing. Someday, 30 years from now, Ill probably fully restore it when I become a boring old man. Until that day, Ill make this thing look like a Ferrari if I want.

sigh. ok here we go. First off, if you scroll back a page or so, i did mention that it was just my opinion and that I DIDNT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE, but obviously you missed that part. Let me also remind you that there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Cobra clones, so you're not becomming any "less" ordinary either. Next you'll tell me, to top off your original Cobra clone you're going to add chrome Cobra Rs to it. And as far as my 4 inch cowl, that's a shoddy attempt at taking a shot at me, since you obviously didnt read my sig long enough to see that i'm taking the piece of junk off and replacing the stock hood, as the car came with the cowl when i got it. My point here isnt to argue, you just have to realise that you're going to get opinions on your threads no matter what forum you're in, it's all part of "feedback". Lastly, you need to lighten up. If people's opinions on what you do with your own car can piss you off, then you obviously care too much about what other people think. Like i said before, bolt on a Civic nose for all i care, it's your car.

You just said on your previous post, "Hey jerky, if you dont like the answers, stop asking for opinions." And I'm saying I never asked for opinions, so dont bring em. Next time, Ill specify. I NEVER asked, "Hey can someone tell me if they would be mad if I changed my front end". I asked how do you do it. Does that anywhere ask for you to get pissy that I'm changing my 85. No. Furthermore, not only do I hate cobra rims cause everybody has them, but if you saw my cardomain page I posted, it shows the 99 cobra rims Im using because nobody uses them. It was either them or FR500's which I've never seen on the street. Lastly, I have never ever seen a Cobra R clone, and rarely do I see a Cobra(clone or not). I do see 5 million GT's everyday and occasionally a 4-eyed. Your barking up the wrong tree buddy. Nothing I do on my project cars is ordinary. Thats why my last 2 cars were an AMC Javelin and a Dodge Charger, and my car now is a carbureted centrifugal supercharger setup. Tell me that stuff is common and Ill come over there and kick your ass, lol. I get enough crap from people at work and my friends telling me I need to do this and that and frankly I'm so tired of it, that I stopped having people help me because all they would do is tell me I shouldnt do what I want to do when all I want to do is fix up the car. Is my Mustang original? No, because its a Mustang. But by making it really clean and installing the most ungodly drivetrain, then I'll be happy. The car is also an experimental project car for me that I learn things from. That car has seen a Clevor, this current engine, next a 460/C6 swap, and last a SC 408/T56/Currie 9inch----this is my goal. I dont think anybody can complain about seeing a carbureted supercharged 408 stroker, T56 Viper 6-speed, Currie 9 inched 1993 Cobra R on the street. Would you?

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Hey jerky, if you dont like the answers, stop asking for opinions. :shrug: Do you really want people to tell you what you want to hear?

Agreed.

I came on here to get information on this topic, and every 2 posts is this guy bitching at everyone acting like he is God or something. I went to the cardomain website to see what this car is all about and he is getting mad at people and how many stars he is recieving on his car. :notnice:

SmockDoiley

Man, sounds to me like you just have issues about people giving you opinions, 'cause like i said before, you're never going to live in a world without'em. It's like the saying goes, opinions are like @ssholes, everyone's got'em and they all stink, right? Heck, if you ask me about original, i'd say sticking with the stock body and nose is just as original as a Cobra R clone, since that year R was little more cosmetically than a red Cobra with '94 GT rims painted black with a polished lip and chrome cap. The reasons you get opinions are because people care enough to tell you what they think. You may take that as people trying to rip on you, but if nobody cared, nobody would post in your thread. Think about it.

SmockDoiley
the harness for the headlight required splicing but the two others slipped in the new front end with no modifications. and about paying 200 that was for the headlights w/clear corners the bumper cover and they took it off for me so i thought i came out ok. PM me if you have anyother questions

Thanks for the great info 84. After looking around and getting the advice from you guys, this swap doesnt seem as scary as I thought it would be.

The problem with opinions is that they are not always wanted and not always appropriate especially when the person makes it clear thats not what they want to hear. I happen to love Cobras but I dont have the scratch to buy one, and I already have heavily modified mine. So the clearly intelligent thing to do would be to change mine. But nobody cares to do that. In the same sense when people say they need help installing iron heads on their engine, and all people do is jump on the guy for not buying AFR's even when he already stated he only had $600 and not $1400. Or everybody's magical answer, "Get a custom cam". Maybe some people need the cam now, or maybe they cant spring that kind of money. But nobody takes that into consideration. You're all being selfish with your opinions. Why give an opinion? Because your opinion is what YOU would like to see happen to the care, not what I want. You obviously dont care about me if you think I should sell the car and give it to someone who wants a 4-eyed car. How is that looking out for my interests? Your sitting there going Woah is me, this poor dude doesnt love his car and should sell it to me because he isnt doing what I think should be done with the car. If you cared, you'd make sure I understood how to swap it, and make sure its done right, or maybe offer help if you live close. Not chastize me because I'm doing something different that what you would do. I know the diff with a Cobra R, but I still like it and have yet to see one.

SmockDoiley said:
Ok, I understand that the good 4 eyed look was only available for 2 years, 85-86, but they are a dime-a-dozen. I like how my car looks, but its looking a little too 80's.

(then you say this right after anyway!?!?!)
I do see 5 million GT's everyday and occasionally a 4-eyed.

There are alot less 93 Cobras' and Cobra R's(only 107) on the road then there are 85-86 Mustangs.

Would you like to know that I actaully threw the old interior away in the garbage even though it was totally clean? If your curious as to the mods and what it looks like now, check out my cardomain link.

:lol: :lol:

My god that was some of the best I have ever heard!

Priceless! Like not ever kid with 30 bucks and a Cervani's catalog cant have a "Cobra" Ewwwwwwwwwwww! Thats so cool!

Dime a dozen!

Threw it out! With Einstein moves like that . no wonder you cant afford one!

Dude you are a classic in the war for butchering you car! Just this once I will give you a pass and say go ahead! I mean you have every mod one can throw at a car , yet you cant figure out how to swap a bumper cover, so its not like anyone has to worry you will actually get it done!

Hey, send us pictures when your done! Butchery at its finest!

Oh man, classic!

Your right man. Cobra R's are a dime a dozen. And I should just jump into a project I've never tried before without getting advice. And I'm sure you repair jet engines too? But I guess I'd be upset too if I owned an ugly car like an 84, hahahahaha. You guys are such a great source of laugher, the wife and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.