WHAT'S NEEDED FOR COUPE TO FASTBACK CONVERSION?

ARPM

Jul 8, 2004
PUERTO RICO
With the event of new replacements for body sheet metal available I was thinking in converting my spare parts 66 GT coupe in to a fastback. I already have a Shelby style deck lid bumpers, tail lights ect. I have seen all the outside sheet metal available for the conversion but have some doubts about the trunk and interior. I will be installing a 428 with EFI retrofit, with a 4 speed and Mustang II suspension with power Rack&pinion along with a full set of creature comforts such as A/C, Sound system, 18" rims, pwr windows,locks,remote trunk release, 4 wheel disc ect. Here is a list of my questions so I really appreciate all answers cuz I am dead serious about this conversion.

1- Is the trunk floor the same as the coupe?
2- Is the rear seat the same?
3- Are there any interior items that are not reproduced?
4- Are interior quarter panels available?
5- Are the deck lid hinges the same?

Any additional info is welcome

• Sponsors (?)

1- Is the trunk floor the same as the coupe?
2- Is the rear seat the same?
3- Are there any interior items that are not reproduced?
4- Are interior quarter panels available?
5- Are the deck lid hinges the same?

1 - unknown.
2 - no, different. There are folddown and fixed types. Can't tell you if the fixed is same as the coupe, but the folddown certainly isn't.
3 - There are two panels that cross between the vent panels that I don't think are made along with the trim at the top of the quarter panels and trunk hatch that aren't made.
4 - Yes, although very expensive.
5 - unknown.

honestly, I dont see the point of it...weakens the frame and adds weight, coupes are fine the way they are(but then I'm one of those freaks who like how they look better than the fastback to begin with) besides, it wont add any value...it is after all, still a coupe as far as the VIN is concerned, which any potential buyer will find out as soon as they go to buy it, no matter how good the conversion is, which of course just leaves personal taste...I for one can think of many other things I would spend the money on first

Heres the easiest way to do it, but its a secret so dont let it out.................
BUY A FASTBACK
I agree with this one 100%. Hey, I know fastbacks are expensive and much harder to find, jeez I searched for 6 months straight for the right one. But it's not like we're talking about Ferraris here. Even a nice fastback can be had for less than a used Honda Accord, which means they're STILL affordable for most people. My personal thinking is that if you really think this one through, you'll realize that even if you do a perfect job, and even if it's much easier than you think (not likely) then what do you have when your done? A car with a ton of hours into that's not even worth what a coupe would be with similar investment in time and money. Save yourself the grief and either build the coupe or sell it and buy a fastback.

1 - unknown.
2 - no, different. There are folddown and fixed types. Can't tell you if the fixed is same as the coupe, but the folddown certainly isn't.
3 - There are two panels that cross between the vent panels that I don't think are made along with the trim at the top of the quarter panels and trunk hatch that aren't made.
4 - Yes, although very expensive.
5 - unknown.

Thanks Bullit, Im taking notes

Heres the easiest way to do it, but its a secret so dont let it out.................

BUY A FASTBACK

Yeah!, But come to my place and try to get one in decent shape to resto it and you are in for a BIG SURPRIZE!(Over 10K if you find it). Besides for a guy like me retired, with all the time in the world a project like this will fullfill all my expectations of a cool retirement.

I agree with this one 100%. Hey, I know fastbacks are expensive and much harder to find, jeez I searched for 6 months straight for the right one. But it's not like we're talking about Ferraris here. Even a nice fastback can be had for less than a used Honda Accord, which means they're STILL affordable for most people. My personal thinking is that if you really think this one through, you'll realize that even if you do a perfect job, and even if it's much easier than you think (not likely) then what do you have when your done? A car with a ton of hours into that's not even worth what a coupe would be with similar investment in time and money. Save yourself the grief and either build the coupe or sell it and buy a fastback.

To begin I already have a 66 GT coupe fully restored. I have gone a few times to the states looking for a nice shape fastback and after finding a few of them below 10K the local tax laws and the shipping cost make it not affordable to bring it here.

To give you an example of this law back in 1989 a local Mercedes dealer sold me a brand new 560SEL for $105,000. The same car at a dealer in N.Y.C was $87.500 plus tax. If i had purchased the car in N.Y.C and ship it here i would have paid $117,327.85. So i ended buying the local dealer one.

A second example was the 65 vert i just finnished restoring this year. My son got it for me from a lady in Norwalk, CT in very bad shape. It wasn't a car it was a bucket of rust in wheels. I replaced every piece of metal that was available at that time(2002). He paid $700.00 for it and the shipping cost at that time was $1,200. How much was the tax appraisal?.....$3,500

I have invested over $100,000 in it just to have the joy of doin it , get the things i want on it and making it look,ride,run,sound and perform the way i always wanted my dream stang to be.

$10k is a lot of money, but that's about what decent "project" fastbacks have cost for years, no matter where you live. Trust us on this one, you WILL put more time and money into this project than you could ever imagine, and that's assuming that at some point you don't simply give up and sell the half-finished, Frankenstiens' monster of a Mustang for pennies on the dollar. I'm not bashing your enthusiasm, just trying to be honest with you about the risk vs. reward of what you're suggesting. I'm not saying it can't be done, I've seen a few half-finished ones on ebay. Their owners give up long before they are ever anywhere near completion. Sure, it LOOKS easy, that is until you try to line up the doors again, or get the windows to seal, or even roll up and down without catching the top. Just wait until you start buying all the fastback-specific parts, Side windows, rear glass, vent assemblies, trim, trap door, fold down seat (and all the latches and trim), trunk parts, hinges...the list is endless, and it's ALL expensive. If you're simply interested in making your car LOOK like a fastback, you can aviod some of the headaches, but if you're trying to make it all work and fit like factory, well that's going to be a chore. And what will be you're reward in the end? Potental buyers won't touch it with a ten-foot pole, even at a fraction of what you have into it. You will have spent more than had you simply gritted your teeth and bought a fastback. In the end, you're free to do as you please, after all, it'd your car, your ,money, you're time. But don't say you weren't warned.

honestly, I dont see the point of it...weakens the frame and adds weight, coupes are fine the way they are(but then I'm one of those freaks who like how they look better than the fastback to begin with) besides, it wont add any value...it is after all, still a coupe as far as the VIN is concerned, which any potential buyer will find out as soon as they go to buy it, no matter how good the conversion is, which of course just leaves personal taste...I for one can think of many other things I would spend the money on first

It's not a matter of getting and investment back, is not about value either. It's about doing it and having the fun.

One thing I don't agree is on the frame weakening. As a retired engineer I have looked at that possibility and don't see a way it may happen if done correctly.

Changing the top and quarters it's about the same as if it was a coupe. In fact you can improve on the original coupling of sheet metal to obtain a stronger unibody cage. I did it on my vert frame rails, torque boxes and rockers and you should see it after I comes down from my "TILTLER" jack (Flips the car 90 degrees complete) (see my signature) The doors shut by finger touch and I jack it up after every show I go just to detail the under carriage. Don't get me wrong, I love coupes. Is just that I want the complete stable and enjoy making it in the process.

Buy the way; I have been thinking of the new 67 fastbacks body’s available and may try something early next year based on that kit.

Below is a pic of the "TilTler" Jack

TILTLER4.jpg

dont have it shipped then...go pick it up...rent a car hauler and take a truck....gas would come in well under $1200, it can be done...sure, but its all a matter of time or money....and time is money

The $1,200 is for the shipping from New Jersey pier to a pier in Puerto Rico. I have to haul it or drive it to Pennsauken N.J. Also it covers tire recycling fee and towing to and from the ship. Cars are not allowed to travel with gas in their tanks.

That's about the most shade-tree thing I've seen in a long time. Notice how he's learning the hard way just how much is different between the two cars? I'd like to know how he plans to fix the HUGE, gap where the fastback tapers back to the taillight extensions. Also, notice this site was last updated two years ago? Don't see any "finished" pics, do you? The funny thing about projects like this are that the guy with the website was likely told the exact same things, yet in his mind, he was thinking, "...yeah? I'll show those guys!! This is gonna work and it's going to be fun proving those guys wrong!!!..."

That's about the most shade-tree thing I've seen in a long time. Notice how he's learning the hard way just how much is different between the two cars? I'd like to know how he plans to fix the HUGE, gap where the fastback tapers back to the taillight extensions. Also, notice this site was last updated two years ago? Don't see any "finished" pics, do you? The funny thing about projects like this are that the guy with the website was likely told the exact same things, yet in his mind, he was thinking, "...yeah? I'll show those guys!! This is gonna work and it's going to be fun proving those guys wrong!!!..."

55124840cf3.jpg

Dunno but he does some good work...check out the Camaro. Simple body work should get the transition into shape

Also, notice this site was last updated two years ago?
website said:
Last Update 8/12/08
:shrug: The guy also shows the "before" pics taken for PHR magazine so it looks like he won't be cutting corners if he wants the car featured. Looks OK but the quarters seem too tall. You can confirm this by the large gap between the quarter extensions and tips of the rear bumper.

Someone on CC is doing a coupe to fastback conversion on a '65 but he's doing it because he has two partial bodies to piece together, not buying repro sheetmetal. From what I remember it's going to be a race car anyway.

First, if you really want to, go ahead and have fun.

Second, on that website, those fastback lines just don't look right. The quarters and roof lines just don't match like they should.

So, unless you have a fastback right next to it to compare, I think you will need a very complete body shop book with all of the frame and sheet metal measurements. And I don't know where you could get one. Infact, if you do find one, let me know as I want one too for all of the work I will be doing soon.

:shrug: The guy also shows the "before" pics taken for PHR magazine so it looks like he won't be cutting corners if he wants the car featured. Looks OK but the quarters seem too tall. You can confirm this by the large gap between the quarter extensions and tips of the rear bumper.

Someone on CC is doing a coupe to fastback conversion on a '65 but he's doing it because he has two partial bodies to piece together, not buying repro sheetmetal. From what I remember it's going to be a race car anyway.

You're right about my assumption that the website wasn't updated more recently. I missed the new update info. But I stand by my statement that that is one of the very, very worst examples of bodywork I have ever seen. Look closely at the huge warpage in the quarters. I've surfed on smaller waves! That is NOT going to come out with a little tapping with a hammer and dolly. Nor will it EVER look right, because as he has found out, coupe/convert and fastback rear ends are very different. So now what can he do? The fastback trunk will never fit right because they slope more downward, while to match the taller coupe quarters, he just plopped the roof on, got it somewhat even (with numerous pie-cuts) and welded it up. Trust me, that car will never look right, even from across the street at night. That is the poster-child of why NOT to do that kinda thing to a halfway save-able coupe.

The car in the linked web site does not look right. I agree that you need an original fastback to get measurements from or you will have similar problems. The biggest issue I see is that back in the 60s Ford didn't use the common parts trick very often. They seemed to have a lot of extra money to make specific different parts for each style of a car.

It looks to me as though you have the fabrication skills to do this, but I would just sell the coupe and buy a rusty, junky fastback. That way you are still doing a ton of work in replacing all the bad panels, but you at least have an example to measure and match - and take a lot of the odds and ends misc. parts from.

Either way, I'm sure it will be a fun project. Good luck! :)