What's the best chip???

wgungho

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2001
Except for some suspension mods, my 50k mile 97 Cobra is stock. I want to add a little power (doesn't everyone?), and thought a chip might be a good choice. Do any of them actually work, in the sense of getting more real HP?
Other suggestions in the $1,000 range would be appreciated.
Thanks
Thom

• Sponsors (?)

Don't get a chip or tune until you add some mods because after you add some mods you'll have to get the chip retuned...

Don't get 3.73's like 1of2000 said though, go with nothing less than 4.10's, preferably 4.30 gears...These car's love the gear...

Don't need a MAF either, not stock at least...

Get gears and some exhaust...

yes a chip should be the last thing you do to your car after mods. chips are mainly for turbo/supercharger/nitrous applications.
gears and exhaust is a way to go. maybe a densecharger would help too :) for $1000 that is your best bet to go with those 3 items :)

I have a hypertech power programmer 3 and it made a little difference. The best thing it did was correct my speedometer for my 4.10 gear. If you get a cat back and a gear you should be pretty happy.

The absolute very first thing you should get is a shifter. Makes a world of a difference, especially since you are contemplating gears. Like said above, don't go less than 4.10s. I wish I had gone with 4.30s only 2 weeks after my 4.10s were installed. SHIFTER, GEARS, EXHAUST!!! Good luck. Ray

here you go.... gears should be the first install you do! go with 4.10's if it will be driven often, this would be the highest gear forthe street that i would go. Of course get a shifter and exhaust... do the whole thing. headers back otherwise you wont tell the diff. One more thing the K&N filter is a must! As far as a chip goes if you want one get a superchips or diablo :nice:

What everyone else said. Do all the normal bolt-on's and then if you still want a chip, have the car tuned with the chip or CPU reflashed. Do not go with a mail order chip that they tune to your mods. :nono: I had a DiabloSport mail chip tuned to my mods when I had my GT, and I had all the bolt-on's, and I had my car dynoed with the chip and then without, and I made less power with the chip installed. :notnice: Custom tune with dyno and A/F is a must if you are going to have a chip. Just my .02. :p