Whats the best gear ratio for a 97 cobra ?

Which gear ratio ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

98V6

Oct 28, 2004
Baltimore, MD
I am getting ready to change the axel and gears in my ranger(8.8 rear). Long story but I am actually going to have the following gear sets left over. 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10. Since i am going to have them left over i was wondering which one i should put in the cobra to replace its 3.27 gears.

I drive it on the street most of the time and take it to the track every other week so it does see alot of track time.

• Sponsors (?)

Friend of mine put 4.30's in his '97 Cobra and swears by them. I've driven it and it's not that bad. With some DR's out back it just hooks and goes!

I would go with 4.10's in your situation. Modulars love the steeter gears

Wow thats sort of not what i was expecting.

this is really the first sports/performance car i have ever had, so i think its sick fast now as it is. i can only imagen what its like with 4.10s or 4.30s

I really don't race that much aren't 4.30s going to be overkill on the street ?

Also the thing is I am doing the axel swap on my ranger long story, i am going to have a set of 4.10 left over. Maybe i will do the 4.30 i don't know. hmmm.....Free set of 4.10s or go buy 4.30s.

billfisher said:
this poll show people have no idea what gearing it needs.

4.56 or 4.88 especially with cams, head porting, headers, and rods. 8000+ needs 4.88.

not 4.1 or even 4.3

We are talking about a street car here, not race car. I couldn't imagine 4.56s or 4.88s with a t45. First gear would last about 10 feet before you would need to shift not too mention how high the rpms would be in 5th.