Whats the best way to cut U-bolts while on the car?

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I just replaced my 4.5 mid-eye leaf springs with standard height springs. I put on some u bolts that are 4 inches to long. I was wondering what is the best way to cut the u bolts while on the car. I was told the best way is to use a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Also, is it safe while cutting the u-bolts while on the car. Just a little concerned of the sparks hitting the gas tank. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I just replaced my 4.5 mid-eye leaf springs with standard height springs. I put on some u bolts that are 4 inches to long. I was wondering what is the best way to cut the u bolts while on the car. I was told the best way is to use a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Also, is it safe while cutting the u-bolts while on the car. Just a little concerned of the sparks hitting the gas tank. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Sparks from a cutoff wheel present little hazard, unless fuel is leaking all over. Now, if you wanted to use a torch to cut the tailpipe, I'd be walking slowly away.

Sparks from a cutoff wheel present little hazard, unless fuel is leaking all over. Now, if you wanted to use a torch to cut the tailpipe, I'd be walking slowly away.

Nothing hazardous about cutting exhaust with a torch. No more than using a die grinder and cutoff wheel. We used to own an exhaust shop and nothing but torches used to cut and weld exhaust on the car. As long as no fuel is leaking, there's no problem.