What's the cheapest way to build an 11 sec daily driven 5.0?

Used 5.0, stroked windsor, good auto, slicks, fuel, seats, stereo, misc stuff... probably probably 15-20K. Rock solid, reliable, etc... 25-30K with nice paint and wheels/tires, body kit, etc...

Oh, you can almost ALWAYS buy somebody elses project done or near done, for much, MUCH, (did I mention much...) cheaper than you can build it yourself. Just fyi

Dave

Check e-bay, dragracingjunk.com, places like that for a good rolling chassis on the cheap. Usually has cage, brakes, rear end, etc... already done for a fraction of what all the pieces would cost you.

:flag: :nice:

$15-20k is more money than I would want to put into any 87-95 mustang. Not to mention I have gone pretty fast with nowhere near that. But thats just me.:D

• Sponsors (?)

$15-20k is more money than I would want to put into any 87-95 mustang. Not to mention I have gone pretty fast with nowhere near that. But thats just me.:D

no, no, no... I wasn't clear enough. I was saying if he went out and bought a stang (5.0) then bought all the pieces to make a good reliable 11 sec streeter with basically all new parts, comfy seats, decent stereo, etc... he'd probably be into it that much.

Now buying somebody elses half done project, or using a car he already owns, getting deals on parts from guys he knows / semi-knows (thats us :D ), using stock seats, wheels, etc... to maintain a sleeper kinda thing, then he could do it for much, MUCH less.

But if what he really wants is a deep 10 second streeter, that runs 11s on the street tires, hazing em' well into 3rd (Bevis voice: yeah... yyeeeahhh... yyeeaahhh) then he'll wind up spending more anyhow. :hail2: :flag:

DD
:D

Heck, right now in NW classifieds, you can get brand new E brand heads 800, cobra intake 275, full exhaust (price not spec'd but probably cheap).... find a used lx automatic with gears and the posi rebuilt (probably 3.5 - 5 grand, cuz nobody but dragracers and old ladies want automatics:nice: ). You're well on your way.

Ask Nate about 12 sec et's with no power, and just a little diet and suspension tuning....

6lb (insert brand of choice) blower kits can be had on e-bay for 1500, 9lb for under 3grand, or diy turbo or a used blower kit for less... or used this money, toward a 393 / 408 Windsor instead...

shift kit and stall converter (or find a local tranny shop with "lifetime" warranty :owned: ), misc air/fuel items along the way... subframes, cont arms, little TLC here and there...

anyhow, you get the idea.

You might get away for less than 10, probably 12, maybey as much as 15 if ya splurge a little here and there.

(or you could spend a few thousand more up front to get some of these things, and save yourself money in the long run).

AN EXAMPLE just came to mind.... Bills GT. Dont know for sure what he's asking (it AINT cheap) but every F-ing part on the car is top notch. Big inch windsor, nice paint, interrior, etc... etc... etc... (and did I mention etc...) but it's done, buy it, drive it, love it, TODAY, not 6months or a year or two from now.... you know.

DD

no, no, no... I wasn't clear enough. I was saying if he went out and bought a stang (5.0) then bought all the pieces to make a good reliable 11 sec streeter with basically all new parts, comfy seats, decent stereo, etc... he'd probably be into it that much.

Now buying somebody elses half done project, or using a car he already owns, getting deals on parts from guys he knows / semi-knows (thats us :D ), using stock seats, wheels, etc... to maintain a sleeper kinda thing, then he could do it for much, MUCH less.

But if what he really wants is a deep 10 second streeter, that runs 11s on the street tires, hazing em' well into 3rd (Bevis voice: yeah... yyeeeahhh... yyeeaahhh) then he'll wind up spending more anyhow. :hail2: :flag:

DD
:D

The thing is the guy already has a car. Sounds like it has some good stuff just needs a decent engine and trans. Theres nothing wrong with DIY turbo systems as long as who built it knows what he is doing for the most part. IMHO I think you will always get the most power/dollar this way and as long as you have enough fuel system and a good tune. :nice: