whats the difference in these engines?

I am currently and slowly getting my 2.3 together so i can hurry up and break it in. i have a 89' hatch that im soon going to drop this motor in. i bought the motor with no intake or anything, so im using all the parts off my old motor to get it running. the reman'd motor i was told is a 86' but it was just the block, head, and internals only. The gasket set i have is said to be for 86.5-88 140ci ohc engine NA & turbo. so this really threw me off. The 87-89 motors i thought where the same. and i thought the only diiference in 86 was the intake and exhaust on the head. so how can this gasket set be for 86.5-88 only? Sounds like maybe its for a TC?
If i do have a 86' block and head, are all my parts off my 89' swapable?
If anyone out there can help my confused @$$, what is the differance in the 86' and older, compared to the 89' motor i parted out. Are they still both a whopping 88hp?
Please help me so i can finally get this motor running tomorrow. Thanx a bunch in advance for all the help. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i think your right. the set i have has a gasket to connect the lower to the upper half of the intake, but it doesn't have one for the TB to the upper half of the intake?
Is there anything special i need to convert my motor to EFI, or can i just bolt my EFI parts to make it fuel injected? :flag: