Whats the difference...

joey_corleone82

Mar 18, 2006
OK I know this might sound lame, but I'm new to this. I would like to know what a Cobra Mustang actually is...is this a specially modified Mustang that is built by Ford? If so, what is the difference between a Cobra and a regular GT?

I've also heard of Roush, and Saleen and such but don't know much about them...do they buy stock mustangs and supe them up? Can you bring your stock GT to them and have them make it a Roush or Saleen?

• Sponsors (?)

Cobras are basically factory hotrod versions of V6s if you get down to it. The 96+ got DOHC 4V engines that all produced over 300HP if im not mistaken. The 03-04 cobras recieved a supercharger and make 390HP.
GTs got a SOHC 2V 260HP engine from 96-04 and a 3V 300HP engine from 05-XX.
Its not just that, the cobras have better suspension and breaks and interior and appearance mods as well....and the 03-04s have 6 speed transmission.

The Mach 1 also recieved a DOHC engine, without a S/C and with different appearance mods....think of it as the cobras little brother. 310HP I believe.

Thats the just of it without getting too hard core.

Saleen/Roush are very expenice aftermarket companies that have a deal with Ford to let them take brand new stangs and add their own touches....but its quite pricy.
You MAY be able to have your GT turned into one, but noone will considered it real, unless it was bought new that way.

You MAY be able to have your GT turned into one, but noone will considered it real, unless it was bought new that way.

Don't let that stop you. There are a lot of Saleen and Roush clones running the streets. Some of them have so much aftermarket modifications on them that they are faster than some true Saleens and Roushes. Some people can't afford Roush/Saleen hefty price tags so they buy GTs and turn them into these special production stangs.

And there are no lame questions. Most people generally understand that not everyone on here is a "mustang expert" and will go out of thier way to help you with any inquiries you may have. But then again there are a few smart a****.

Cobra's are basically the top of the line model offered by Ford for each model year. Their powerplants and other features have changed over the years, but basically the Cobra gets the best stuff from Ford each year.

That typically applies to the 93-04 SVT Cobras. The new GT500 isn't technically a Cobra even though it does have snakes on it.

There were also a 79-81 Cobra graphics package.

Cobra's are basically the top of the line model offered by Ford for each model year. Their powerplants and other features have changed over the years, but basically the Cobra gets the best stuff from Ford each year.

That typically applies to the 93-04 SVT Cobras. The new GT500 isn't technically a Cobra even though it does have snakes on it.

There were also a 79-81 Cobra graphics package.

Also, Cobra's were not made in 2000 and 2002. There is also a Cobra R made in 1995 and 2000. This was basically a stripped down Mustang with a larger truck based motor and allot more hp. Basically an off the shelf drag car but in reality they became collector's cars.

Cobras are basically factory hotrod versions of V6s if you get down to it. The 96+ got DOHC 4V engines that all produced over 300HP if im not mistaken. The 03-04 cobras recieved a supercharger and make 390HP.
GTs got a SOHC 2V 260HP engine from 96-04 and a 3V 300HP engine from 05-XX.
Its not just that, the cobras have better suspension and breaks and interior and appearance mods as well....and the 03-04s have 6 speed transmission.

The Mach 1 also recieved a DOHC engine, without a S/C and with different appearance mods....think of it as the cobras little brother. 310HP I believe.

the HP rating is off for the GTs but someone already got it.

the 03 mach is rated at 305, while the 04 is 310. they have lincoln aviator cams for better midrange.

There was a 2002 cobra, but all were shipped down under, where they received a hideous front bumper.

there was also a 93 cobra r.

starting in 99, cobras got independent rear suspension, which makes it worse at drag racing, but a better overall car. 99 had 28 spline half shafts then in 01 they got 31 spline.

the 03/04 cobras started to use the tremec t56 which is tons better than the crappy t5/tr3650. they're not as strong as viper, or even vette spec t56s due to their input spline count.

best bang for the buck would be 03/04 cobras, but I'd go for the latter. 03s have a head tick.

Andrews02Cobra.jpg
'

basically the same, except RHD and 2 additional foglights

Attachments

• Andrews02Cobra.jpg
    Andrews02Cobra.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
the HP rating is off for the GTs but someone already got it.

the 03 mach is rated at 305, while the 04 is 310. they have lincoln aviator cams for better midrange.

There was a 2002 cobra, but all were shipped down under, where they received a hideous front bumper.

there was also a 93 cobra r.

starting in 99, cobras got independent rear suspension, which makes it worse at drag racing, but a better overall car. 99 had 28 spline half shafts then in 01 they got 31 spline.

the 03/04 cobras started to use the tremec t56 which is tons better than the crappy t5/tr3650. they're not as strong as viper, or even vette spec t56s due to their input spline count.

best bang for the buck would be 03/04 cobras, but I'd go for the latter. 03s have a head tick.

Darn I wanst even thinking LOL. My mind is 99-04. Yea the 96-98 had the NPI engine and in 98 they recieved a better intake manifold bumping up power by 10.

I know the 03-04 IRS is beefier...but I though what made the main difference was 03-04 got the 31 spline and 99-01 got 28. Didnt know 01 was 31 spline also.

Your mind will change about the Ford T-56 when you drive one :rlaugh: They suck as far as shifting is concerned IMO LOL. Vette/Chevy T-56 versions are MUCH easier to drive...never tried the vipers.