Whats the Dogbone???

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I trying to loose some weight on my car, just for kicks. i dont even know how much it weighs but i figure it cant hurt at all. so far ive deleted the A/C ad added an aluminum drive shaft. im even on a diet myself. lost 15 lbs so far this winter. Anyways ive heard a lot of people say they deleted the dogbone. What the heck is that? Anybody got any pics of it? What purpose does it serve? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The dogbone is located on the bottom of the differential housing and is attached with 2 bolts. It serves to dampin vibration in the rear end. Most people remove it when they go with lower gears. I guess lower gear produce less vibration or something. I took mine off years ago and didn't notice a difference in vibration or drivetrian noise.

It's a weight mounted on the differential, kinda shaped like a dog bone. I'm not sure what it is for, probably a vibration / harshness dampner of some sort. I've got 3:55's and have not noticed any difference in vibration or wheel hop since I removed mine. I didn't actually weigh it, but I would estimate it to be about 6 or 8 pounds. Removal gets rid of a few unsprung pounds.

Edit: I know dead dogs should lie, but for the record I weighed the doggone dog bone. It does indeed hit the scales right at 10 lbs.

Yeah it should be pretty obvious...it is right in front of the differential and is held on by two bolts...I took mine off and have no ill effects...

David