Whats the "j-mod" for 4r70w?

fastangboi

My first set of nuts vibrated themselves off.
Jul 26, 2006
Slowville
ive read about it and heard of a few guys that regret it. but some say they wish they did it instead of getting a shift kit.

does any one know where a write up is?

has anyone had any personal experience with it?

• Sponsors (?)

The information is under the tech articles:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

If you're not an experienced transmission tech, it will be very confusing.

In 99+ transmissions the jmod is removing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator springs, and drilling out a few holes on the seperator plate.

I have had it done to mine (along with a cooler and 4.10s) for about 2-3 years and 40-50k on it with no problems. It shifts firm, crisp and quick as possible.

fastangboi said:
ive read about it and heard of a few guys that regret it. but some say they wish they did it instead of getting a shift kit.

does any one know where a write up is?

has anyone had any personal experience with it?

The J-Mod is the only shift kit to go with when you have a 4R70W. The others will cause your transmission to fail, it is a question of when not if.

triggz said:
The information is under the tech articles:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

If you're not an experienced transmission tech, it will be very confusing.

In 99+ transmissions the jmod is removing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator springs, and drilling out a few holes on the seperator plate.

I have had it done to mine (along with a cooler and 4.10s) for about 2-3 years and 40-50k on it with no problems. It shifts firm, crisp and quick as possible.

thats what most shift kits do anyway right. i know of a few you have to put a rivet in a certain spot too.

i wonder if its too harsh of a shift for a DD

fastangboi said:
does the J-mod get rid of that 2-3 studder while cruising w/ OD off?

That 'studder' you feel is probably your TC locking up. At WOT, in OD, and low cruising speeds the torque converter locks at a 1:1 ratio for optimum power transfer. Just like fully engaging a clutch.

If anything, it makes it more noticable. But you will feel the trans 'drop' into gear very firmly, the car doesnt fall back for a moment while it shifts anymore.

2001sleeper said:
My lentech unit works well. They build it to your specs and don't just pull something off the shelf like others do. I am happy with my unit. Been running it for almost a year now.

I'll take my Jmod valve body over the Lentech any day. JMO of course, but Jerry DID design the freggin trans to begin with.

Jmod, trans cooler, stall and gears. Fun party :nice:

Would anybody be interested in making a video comparing jmod vs stock? If someone here has similar mods to mine but no jmod, we can make some identical clips. Would need to have 4.10s and o/r midpipe for best comparison..

san~man said:
I'll take my Jmod valve body over the Lentech any day. JMO of course, but Jerry DID design the freggin trans to begin with.

Jmod, trans cooler, stall and gears. Fun party :nice:

have you owned lentech products and used them, or are you just making a comment?
I've seen failed transmission due to improper J-mod modifications.

2001sleeper said:
have you owned lentech products and used them, or are you just making a comment?

Lentech makes great products, but thats a lot of unnecessary spending for a street car that doesnt need a whole new valve body where the stock one works fine. Thats like saying he should get a new forged dss shortblock just because its better.

I've seen failed transmission due to improper J-mod modifications.
I've seen engines failed due to improper oil changes. Stop changing your oil!