Whats this ??? and Battery Ground

88GTMustang

Oct 31, 2003
LA california
Ok i was looking at my stang tonite and where the battery cable is grounded is in front of the oil filter on something. Is that where everybody elses is?? And that something is what i want to know what it is. K ill try to describe it

Like i said its in front of the oil filter area when looking from front of car and there is like a inch by 2 inch hole and has on each side a place for a bolt to go into like something that should be on the car but is not. any thoughts will be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic, with no powersteering pump. That dirty thing in the bottom right of the pic, that looks to have some red/orange underneath, is the oil pressure sending unit, right?

Does your car have that sending unit attatched to the end of bar, or is this what you are referring to?

Block%20Ground.JPG

Damn mavrick thats a good pic. I wish i had one of those damn cameras that can plug into the computer, but anyways yes thats the area i am refering too. well im goin to go to my dads house to look at the car i could of sowrn it was a lil different but i might be wrong. I will post something on a lil later with more info. But thanx for the help so far. peace

The battery should ground *directly to the block*. Then, you should have a ground strap from the engine/tranny mount area to the body.

BTW: You can get a VGA Pen cam at Wal-mart for ~$30. Get the one with VGA (640x?480?) resol (it interpolates (sp?) to ~1Kx1K). Here are pics that I took with my Pen Cam. Good for working on car when you don;t want to risk ruining an $$$ dig-cam.

Mavrick said:
Digicams are pretty cheap nowadays, you can get a crappy one for less than $150, or a half decent one (like mine, 2.0mp) for around $100 or so, used.

yes that would be nice but i need every penny i got, (food, insurance, rent, school, gas, phone bill,) kinda sucks....maybe when i get my taxes back though.. but anyway yeah its like right were yours is grounded but there is a rectangle hole in the motor with 2 bolt holes on the sides about 1 inch by 2 inches. stuck my fingers in there but it doesnt go to nothing just like a lil square hole....hmmmmm......

stang&2Birds said:
The battery should ground *directly to the block*. Then, you should have a ground strap from the engine/tranny mount area to the body.

BTW: You can get a VGA Pen cam at Wal-mart for ~$30. Get the one with VGA (640x?480?) resol (it interpolates (sp?) to ~1Kx1K). Here are pics that I took with my Pen Cam. Good for working on car when you don;t want to risk ruining an $$$ dig-cam.

the pics of your car in the info that says car pics??

I also want to know where the little 12 gauge type wire goes and what it is for. My new battery wire has 2 little wire connections. The best place for a ground is the engine block or frame correct? Where is a good place to ground it, cus i don't like the stock location.