Whats up with C&D???

05MGT

Dec 8, 2004
Jax, FL
I am a huge Mustang fan, but the article comparing the 05 GTO and the 05 Mustang seems to be very contradicting. I was glad to see the Mustang win, andwas expecting to hear about how well it must have performed. But, when read all they did was praise the GTO and bash the Stang. I was left wondering why the Mustang won. I'm thinking that the dynamics of the Mustang must have been that much better than the GTOs, but, they loved the GTO for its handling characteristics even if the Mustang put out better numbers. They continually bashed the Mustang for the live axle, turn-in, huge wheel, numb steering, deep gauges, and cornering. I think the only positive thing said was the good looks and great shifter. Why praise the car that lost and bash the car that won? I'm stumped. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

C&D is a rag!

I cancelled my subscription years ago. :notnice: The writers there are not objective at all. They HATE Mustangs and only throw Ford a bone every once and again when they can't justifiably come up with something to beat the Ford (Focus SVT , Ford GT). Unless it has BMW written on the hood C&D will tell you it is a backwards hunk of outdated junk that is just waiting to fall apart. If that hunk of junk is a Chevy it usually wins. I think they were just trying to avoid looking stupid because they named a Mustang 10 Best and realized they were going to look bad if they gave it to the GTO. The Comparo is not very fair to begin with $34k vs $25k. :bs: Where's the new Boss/Mach when you need it!

C&D will get no respect from me. When they first tested the new '05 Mustang they didn't even do instrumented testing; yet they had the short sightedness to ESTIMATE that the '05 Mustang GT would do a 14.0 to 14.5 second quarter mile. This was after MT had already tested the new '05 Automatic Trans Mustang GT at 13.6 and 99.9 in the quarter mile. Seems to me that when a vehicle is tested, the writeup should be based upon fact and instrumented testing...not subjective estimates provided by some chair jockey.

Something else that bothers me:

On previouse Mustangs C&D bitched about how loose the steering was and how huge a dead center in the steering there was. Now, turn in is too easy, and steering is too tight. WTF??? They got what they wanted and now are complaining about it.

ya its hard to take magazines seriously when they write such screwed up articles. I bet the gto guys are wondering exactly the same thing since there car got most of the praise yet lost. I do have a subscription to road and track though and they seemed to only praise the mustang gt in every article they write about it.

C&D has never been the same since David E. Davis Jr. left the helm in '86 to create Automobile magazine. But, they still seem to "err on the side of big dirty fun" (quote from a Taurus SHO vs Nissan Maxima C&D story many years ago in which the SHO won), hence the reason the Mustang came out on top despite perceived weaknesses.

I read that article and i didnt notice the Mustang getting bashed that much. Hmm guess i'll have to read it again. :shrug:
C&D have not liked the Mustang very much. They admitted that a year ago with some comparisons with the MACH1 which they actually liked alot. It was in a comparison with the Infiniti G35 , and the RX8 and it came in 2nd place and beatout the G35. R&T and Motor Trend especially have always liked the Stang. However C&D now seems to praise this new Mustang which is good. I mean comon they have it on their 10Best list for the first time in GOD knows when. Maybe never, i dont know. But i've read alot of good things they've said about the stang and the bashes they have arent that major it seems to me.
I had a subscription to C&D in the early to Mid 90's and cancelled after getting tired of their Mustang Bashing and Z28 Praising. :bs:
I recently subscribed again after getting a $7 one year subscription. Who could pass that up! And I'm happy to see them giving the New Stang the respect it deserves. :flag:

COBRASVT777 said:
I recently subscribed again after getting a $7 one year subscription. Who could pass that up! And I'm happy to see them giving the New Stang the respect it deserves. :flag:

Does that mean they paid you $7 to take a year subscription? Because I wouldn't wipe my ass with that magazine. It should be called BMW monthly. That magazine pisses me off to no end. My 9 year old daughter could write better (and more informed) articles than those dolts.

I stopped reading car mags a long time ago except Mustang Monthly and even that is gettin old. Now when I want to know anything about a car, I go and have what I lovingly refer to as "Test Drive Saturday". Me and a buddy go to a few local dealerships and drive the crap out of anything that tickles our fancy. That is how I find out what I want to know about cars these days. I have a stack of brochures that goes on forever.

COBRASVT777 said:
I read that article and i didnt notice the Mustang getting bashed that much. Hmm guess i'll have to read it again. :shrug:
C&D have not liked the Mustang very much. They admitted that a year ago with some comparisons with the MACH1 which they actually liked alot. It was in a comparison with the Infiniti G35 , and the RX8 and it came in 2nd place and beatout the G35. R&T and Motor Trend especially have always liked the Stang. However C&D now seems to praise this new Mustang which is good. I mean comon they have it on their 10Best list for the first time in GOD knows when. Maybe never, i dont know. But i've read alot of good things they've said about the stang and the bashes they have arent that major it seems to me.
I had a subscription to C&D in the early to Mid 90's and cancelled after getting tired of their Mustang Bashing and Z28 Praising. :bs:
Are you sure it was a Mach 1? C&D did a compare against the RX8, the G35 and the 03 Cobra and gave the RX8 the win, the cobra 2nd and the G35 3rd.
I was shocked.
The Cobra beat every one in nearly every category.
Rx8 had better skid pad and slalom and “emergency lane change” speeds but lost by nearly a full second on the timed road course match up against the Cobra.

Wsmatau said:
I cancelled my subscription years ago. :notnice: The writers there are not objective at all. They HATE Mustangs and only throw Ford a bone every once and again when they can't justifiably come up with something to beat the Ford (Focus SVT , Ford GT). Unless it has BMW written on the hood C&D will tell you it is a backwards hunk of outdated junk that is just waiting to fall apart. If that hunk of junk is a Chevy it usually wins. I think they were just trying to avoid looking stupid because they named a Mustang 10 Best and realized they were going to look bad if they gave it to the GTO. The Comparo is not very fair to begin with $34k vs $25k. :bs: Where's the new Boss/Mach when you need it!

Yep...they actually said that they were worried that they might have to explain how the GTO beat out their 10 Best selection. They also said that the GTO wasn't available for consideration when they did the 10 Best article. I suspect, that if Pontiac could have provided a car for testing earlier, both tests would have had a different winner. Given the numbers and C&D's leaning toward GM products there is no way they would have selected the Mustang over the GTO. The max score they awarded the Mustang in the "gotta-have-it-factor" was just an easy out for them to save face so that their 10 Best selection wouldn't be questioned.

I hate to say it; but I sure don't think this article gave us Mustang lovers any substantial bragging rights. :shrug:

frostygta said:
I hate to say it; but I sure don't think this article gave us Mustang lovers any substantial bragging rights. :shrug:

I don't look to magazine articles for bragging rights.

I have been a C&D subscriber for 10+years now. I have had subscriptions to R&T, Automobile, MT and others.

I like C&D because it never really takes itself too seriously. Plenty of humor thrown in. I am not using the magazine a Cars are a very personal thing regarding preferences, likes, etc. I do not always agree with their assesments of the cars, but so what? There are things about cars I find important, that other people don't. For me it is pleasure reading, keeping up on new things in the industry....what other time would I read about the new Kia Sport 5 door :p

No reason to get your panties in a bunch about if the GTO or the Mustang finished 1st. Do you think any of the GTO fans are happy with the article because of the perforamance the GTO demonstrated, but finished 2nd?