What's with Mustang oil filters?

Celeb

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Here and there
I put the oil filter on previously by hand. Not even so much as a snug of the wrench and I just had to completely and utterly annihilate it to get it off. Had to do it the time before too. :mad:

Anyone else with such luck?

• Sponsors (?)

I do a lot of oil changes at work and I can tell you that it is amazing how snug turns into "holy **** I'm going to kill that idiot that put this on so tight". I seldom have a problem because I have the right tools, but occasionally I go through hell.

Yea, I've always oiled the seal first but it seems that the common denominator is with the same brand of filter, so we'll go with the motorcraft this go round.

You should see the one I took off. After I was done with it, it looked like a coke can someone just stomped on.

You should have plenty of space you get your whole body in there. Make sure you put oil on the rubber seal before you install the filter, tighten it by hand, and next time you go to take it off you should be able to get it off with two hands with a set of gloves on. Done.

The key is the oil on the seal before it is installed. I have always done this and installed as tight as I could get it by hand and never had an issue with any brand of filter.

This is a common thing that happens to any vehicles that have the standard style filter. It also happens even if you oil the seal. Besides, if you look after you remove the old filter you'll see the mounting surface is almost always covered in oil already. Just buy a filter wrench. It will be the large wrench for a 1A filter.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only time that I have needed a wrench is on the first oil change after I get a car. After that I have never had a problem. As others have suggested I run the Motorcraft FL1A. I have a stockpile at home since its the same filter on both my 5.0s and both of my '65 six bangers. I just oil the seal and put it on hand tight and I am good to go at the next change